1. Ознакомьтесь с содержанием статьи и вставьте предложение (a-f) там, где оно подходит по смыслу (1-5). Одно предложение по смыслу не подходит.
a Ironically, this plant used to be part of the JS Fry company.
b The deal, if approved by shareholders, will consist of 500p in cash and the remainder in Cadbury shares.
c There are fears that jobs will be lost although no-one is putting any figures on how many will go or where jobs will be lost.
d The board of directors at Cadbury rejected the bid out of hand calling it "derisory".
e He does not believe Kraft´s offer is a fair representation of that value to shareholders.
f Shareholders have until February 2nd to decide whether to accept Kraft´s offer.
The battle between the American food giant Kraft and the iconic British food manufacturer Cadbury showed no signs of easing this week as the war of words between the two companies continues.
In September Kraft made a bid for Cadbury which valued the company at £10 billion. (1) … Kraft´s interest in Cadbury then became hostile (meaning that Cadbury was opposed to it in principle) and for the next two months both companies argued their case to shareholders.
Kraft has made an offer for Cadbury based on a price of 764p per share. The share price at the time of writing stands at around 777p. (2) … The board of Kraft have set a deadline of February 2nd for shareholders to respond to the offer.
The board at Cadbury have been trying to convince shareholders that they should reject the offer and stick with Cadbury as an independent business. It believes the Kraft offer undervalues the company and have pointed to the improved financial results that have been recently published as evidence for this.
The chair of Cadbury, Roger Carr, has said that his focus is on shareholder value. (3) … He has suggested that a price in the ´mid eights´ would be a fairer representation of the value of the company.
Kraft made an announcement that a takeover would be better for workers and it would not shut a factory that Cadbury has earmarked for closure. (4) … The company made Turkish Delight and Fry´s Chocolate Cream and was itself the subject of an acquisition by Cadbury.
Workers at Cadbury have been quoted as saying how disappointed they are and how they feel ´sold down the river´. Is this really the case? With any change, workers are going to be concerned about the security of their jobs. (5) …
2. Найдите в статье английские эквиваленты следующих фраз.
o …(они) сразу же отвергли предложение…
o …совет директоров определил крайний срок…
o …стала объектом приобретения…
o …признаков затухания не наблюдается…
o … им следует придерживаться того, что…
3. Ответьте на вопросы относительно содержания статьи. Выписывать похожие на вопросы предложения из статьи не нужно.
1. How much did the Kraft want to pay for Cadbury?
2. Why did the Board of Cadbury reject the bid?
3. What did the Board at Cadbury want its shareholders to do?
4. Would the Kraft shut down one of the factories acquired?
5. How many employees will be laid off after the takeover?
4. Отметьте предложенные предложения T (True - верно), F (false - не верно), NM (Not Mentioned – не упоминается).
1. Cadbury was offered to be sold to Kraft for £10 billion.
2. The board of directors at Cadbury refused the offer naming it "ridiculous".
3. The board at Kraft convinced shareholders that Cadbury would be an independent business.
4. The workers at Cadbury are promised not to be fired after the takeover.
5. Kraft plans to shut down the factory which Cadbury has earmarked for closure.