MY FUTURE CAREER
Engineer - noun
1. someone who designs or builds things such as roads, railways, bridges, or machines
1a. someone who controls the engines on a ship or aircraft
1b. Br E someone who repairs machines or electrical equipment
1c. computing someone who designs and repairs computer programs.
Engineering - noun
The activity of designing or building things such as roads, railways, bridges, or machines.
(MACMILLAN DICTIONARY FOR ADVANCED LEARNERS)
ANSWER THE QUESTIONS:
1. What problems do engineers work on?
2. What do you know about the profession you have chosen?
3. What are engineer´s main functions?
4 Where do engineers find employment?
5 What engineering disciplines do you study?
6. Is engineering profession m demand nowadays?
7. What skills and interpersonal qualities should engineer possess?
8. What non-technical skills are necessary for modem engineers?
9. Are foreign languages necessary for modem engineers? Name the reasons.
10. How do you understand the expression “a team -player"?
Profession of an engineer.
Engineers play an important role in progress as they are highly qualified in sciences and technology. They are efficient at working in teams and their position involves listening, understanding, explaining, convincing, making decisions and assuming responsibilities within the companies they work for. An engineer uses his/her core knowledge to develop efficient work methods and to remain competent when faced with practical issues.
The engineer is possessed of qualities such as realism and creativity as well as interpersonal relational skills. Engineers occupy key positions in the business world. As such they plan, organise and manage. They are flexible throughout their career path and constantly update their competences and knowledge with regards to new technologies. With their capacity to innovate they are actors of progress and creators of activity.
Research and development, building sites, production, maintenance, logistics, quality, security, networks, information technologies, sales, business, consulting, expert, ... The positions that may be held by engineers cover a wide range of fields, and evolve in the course of a career according to personal choice or opportunities.
2. Translate words and expressions from the text.
Intellectual stimulation; to tackle challenging problems; to meet the required specifications; social impact; to maintain standard of living; to enhance knowledge and skills; creativity; professional environment; to cope with changes.
3. Questions for discussion.
1. Why is it so important to find a life´s work that is satisfying?
2. What problems do engineers work on?
3. How does engineering benefit society?
4. In what ways does engineering profession affect people’s lives?
5. What are standard characteristics of professional engineering work environments?
6. Why is the need for engineers to think creatively greater now than ever before?
4. Comment on the following. Use the following phrases to express your opinion.
• I think that...
• It seems to me (that)...
• I (strongly) believe that...
• I agree with it completely.
• I’m of the same opinion.
• I disagree on that point.
• I’m not so sure of that.
1. Almost everything we use was made possible by engineers.
2. No other profession affects our lives in so many vital, significant ways.
3. As your engineering studies progress, therefore, your abilities to solve problems and think critically will increasingly grow stronger.
4. Engineering is by its very nature a creative profession.
5. If you like to question, explore, invent, discover, and create, then engineering would be an ideal profession for you.
5. Расскажите о своей будущей профессии