1. Поставьте глаголы в скобках в соответствующем времени
1. He (fight) hundreds of fires.
2. New fire educational institutions (set up) in the country lately.
3. Modern and effective firefighting equipment (deliver) in a few months.
4. When we came to the scene, other firefighters already (perform) ventilation.
5. My friend’s father (be) a very experienced firefighter, he (work) in Fire Department since 1980.
2.Поставьте по одному вопросу к каждому предложению из Задания 1.
3.Поставьте прилагательное в скобках в соответствующей степени сравнения
1. Temperature in burning metals is generally much (high) than that of in flammable liquids.
2. It was the (enormous) disaster people have ever seen.
3. It is (difficult) to bring fire under control when it has already spread.
4. Nowadays firefighters use (efficient) methods of extinguishing flammable liquids and combustible gases.
5. The situation proved to be even (bad) than we’d expected.
4. Заполните пропуски модальными глаголами:could, may, must, should, can
1. When we leave home, we … switch off the light.
2. Atoms … serve mankind.
3. You … do it next week.
4. My son … speak at the age of 2.
5. … you drive a car?
5.Переведите слова на русский язык и определите, к каким частям речи они относятся
efficiency – inefficiency - efficient
organize – organization – reorganization - disorganization
real – reality - really
forget – forgetful – unforgettable
power – powerful
6. Соедините два предложения в одно, используя союзы и союзные слова
so, because, but, although, and
1. Some cadets study English. I don’t like English.
2. He agreed to help me. He wasn’t good at it either.
3. Firefighters were late. The structure had burned to ashes.
4. Last term 5 cadets were dismissed. They had “debts” (poor marks) in a lot of subjects.
5. We sunbathed a lot. We swam in the sea.
7. Определите функции глаголов to be, to have, to do в предложениях, переведите на русский язык
1. Cadets are to be ready with their reports by the end of the month.
2. What has happened? You are so pale.
3. At our lessons cadets cannot do without dictionaries.
4. What do you usually do on Sunday?
5. We have a lot of new equipment at our disposal.
8. Переведите словосочетания на русский язык
1. aircraft extinguishing system
2. natural disaster prevention
3. flood fighting task
4. search and rescue team
5. building collapse threat
9. Спишите текст, переведите на русский
Typhoons, Earthquakes Exasperate Japan
One of the worst typhoons in almost three decades has hit Japan and claimed at least 80 lives and hundreds of casualties. That disaster, which meteorologists reported had wind speeds of up to 229 kilometers per hour (142 m.p.h.), is the latest powerful storm to sweep the island country. Japan has been hit by a record 10 typhoons this storm season. A 24-metre-high wave (approximately the height of an eight-story building) was detected near the southern island of Shikoku. It was the highest wave to hit the Japanese archipelago since the authorities started to monitor them in 1970.
To top off the trouble, an earthquake registering 6.8 on the Richter scale hit Japan about 150 miles north of Tokyo. At least 27 people were reported killed, and more than 2,000 injured in the quake. The earthquake was the deadliest to hit Japan since the Kobe earthquake claimed more than 6,300 victims in 1995.
10. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту
1. How many lives did the above mentioned typhoon claimed?
2. What was the speed of the wind?
3. When did the authorities start to monitor typhoons?
4. What other natural disasters is Japan subjected to?
5. When was the deadliest earthquake in Japan?