Задание 1. Прочитайте текст и письменно ответьте на вопросы, следующие за текстом
• Watching TV is undoubtedly the way most British people spend most of their spare time. Perhaps this proves something about British TV programmers; on the other hand perhaps it proves something about the
• There are four TV channels; BBC1, BBC 2, ITV ( Independent Television) and Channel 4.
The first two are run by the British Broadcasting Corporation and are non- commercial. This means that they do not show advertisements. The money to run BBC TV (and radio) comes from a licence, which everybody who owns a TV must buy. The whole of ITV is controlled by the Independent Broadcasting Authority (IBA) . It was set in 1954. There are different television programme companies, each serving a different part of the country. These companies get most of their money from firms who use them for advertising The BBC first channel resembles the fourth radio programme. Except for the short period when it
splits into regions, it broadcasts the same news, comments, plays, sports reports, etc.
• The second channel is for minority tastes. It includes occasionally a complete opera. It broadcasts Open University courses outside popular viewing hours.
• ITV is run by commercial companies who get their money by showing advertisements. Advertisers` material appears for one or two minutes at quarter-hour intervals, either between programme- items or in so- called «natural breaks». There are strict rules about the amount of advertising and the type of advertisements allowed
( e.g. advertisements for cigarettes are forbidden ). The advertisers do not sponsor the programmers or have any direct influence on their content. However , the charge for each half- minute of time is high, and varies according to the likely number of viewers. The programme companies` financial success depends on their ability to attract viewers, and the programmers themselves inevitably reflect public tastes. In general ITV companies show programmers aimed at the mass market. BBC 1 programmers are also mainly light entertainment; e.g. detective programmers , comedy shows and music. More serious films, plays and documentaries are normally found on BBC 2.
6 All these channels produce a good mixture of miscellaneous entertainment , music, drama and
Serious discussion. All succeed in presenting news efficiently, interestingly. The BBC and commercial channels can both at their best be excellent; and both spend some time producing rubbish. Both radio and television are often criticized for many and contradictory reasons. But there seems to be a common opinion among people familiar with the productions of several countries that, compared with others, the
British still deserve praise.
1. How many TV channels are there in Great Britain?
2. Are TV channels commercial or non-commercial ?
3. What programmers does the BBC broadcast ?
4. Is the second channel for minority tastes ?
5. What is the difference between the BBC channels and ITV ?
II. Письменно переведите 1, 5, 6-й абзацы текста.
III. Образуйте производные при помощи указанных суффиксов и переведите их на русский язык.
--ment: announce, advertise, entertain, agree, develop
-- er: view, produce, publish, broadcast, listen, report
-- ly: efficient, undoubten, occasion, close, wide, complete
-- al: commerce, finance, critic, practice, nation
-- ion: discuss, contradict, violate, reflect, illustrate