I. Перепишите и письменно переведите текст на русский язык:
RIVERS AND STREAMS
1. A river is part of the hydrological cycle. Water within a river is generally collected fr om precipitation through surface runoff, groundwater recharge, springs, and fr om glaciers. The water fr om these sources flows down mountainsides and hillsides, forming tiny streams that run into bigger ones. These streams join small rivers that flow into still larger rivers. Eventually they join a main river, one that empties into the sea. A main river and all its tributaries, or branches, form a river system. All of the rivers and streams flowing into a main river form a larger drainage basin. Every river and stream has a river source - a place where it begins, a river´s mouth - a place wh ere it empties into another body of water and a river´s flow.
2. The work of rivers and streams. Rivers and streams are always at work on the land, destroying rock and soil (erosion), washing them away (transportation), and putting them down some place else (deposition). The first two processes - erosion and transportation - wear down the land, changing highlands into lowlands. The last process - deposition - builds up the land. Together these three processes keep a balance between the high places and the low places of the earth.
3. The world´s great rivers. There are many different things that make a river great. One thing is length. Even though the Amazon flows through an area wh ere few people live, it is a great river. Not only is it about 7,100 km long, but it also carries more water in its system than the Mississippi River, the Nile River, and the Yangtze River put together. The flow of the Amazon River is so powerful that the water of the Atlantic Ocean is fresh to many miles past the river´s mouth.
On the other hand, the Rhine River in Europe is only about 1,320 km long. But it, too, is a great river. It flows through an area wh ere great numbers of people live. Its waters are used to manufacture many industrial products, to generate power, to transport goods and people, and to provide water for home use, for sport and recreation, and for agriculture.
II. Переведите следующие выражения:
1) с английского языка на русский
drainage basin; river´s mouth; to destroy rock and soil; to change highlands into lowlands; a powerful flow; to generate power; to manufacture many industrial products; hydrological cycle .
2) с русского языка на английский
поверхностный сток; грунтовая вода; крошечные ручейки; впадать в море; исток и устье; с другой стороны; перевозить товары и людей; для домашнего использования и сельского хозяйства.
III. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту на английском языке:
1. What forms a river system?
2. What forms a larger drainage basin?
3. What has every river and stream?
4. What processes keep a balance between the high places and the low places of the earth?
5. How are rivers and streams used?
6. What great rivers do you know?
IV. Образуйте три формы глагола:
To pay, to think, to know, to bring, to become, to learn, to mean, to be, to fall, to leave.
V. Раскройте скобки, употребив соответствующую степень прилагательных:
1. Football is (popular) than basketball.
2. Which is (long) day of the year?
3. Winter is (cold) season.
4. The Russian grammar is (difficult) than the English one.
VI. Переведите предложения на русский язык; подчеркните модальные глаголы:
1. The Australians have produced types of wheat which can withstand drought.
2. You must show these documents to our manager.
3. I am to meet my friends at the station.
4. They will have to repeat all the grammar rules before the examination.
5. It may start raining.