I. Спишите предложения, подчеркните сказуемое и определите его видовременную форму. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1) He has been working at this problem for two years.
2) Our country has developed into a powerful state and has made great progress in all fields of industry, technology and science.
3) They will have made their reports by tomorrow.
4) We had been conducting the experiment for several hours before you came.
5) When I return to the laboratory, my friends will have been working there for an hour.
II. Спишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык. Поставьте предложения в прошедшее и будущее время, используя соответствующую форму модального глагола или его эквивалент.
1) They must pass the examination in physics.
2) He can continue his studies at the evening department.
3) You may go home after classes.
III. Спишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык. Подчеркните модальный глагол или его эквивалент.
1) When are we to visit the laboratories of the institute?
2) You should follow all the important researches in your field.
3) The teacher will have to explain this difficulty again.
4) They ought to help their friend to solve this problem.
5) He had to work hard before he was able to complete his research.
IV. Спишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на независимый причастный оборот. Подчеркните причастие.
1) We studied many subjects, one of them being English.
2) Many delegates being absent, we can’t open our conference.
3) It being Monday, the students went to the institute.
4) The work having been finished, we went home.
5) The professor delivering the lecture, the students listened to him with great interest.
V. Перепишите текст и переведите его на русский язык.
HIGHER EDUCATION IN RUSSIA
1) The new academic year has begun. 2) The students studying at the institutes and universities passed entrance exams in summer and were enrolled into higher schools.
3) About 60 per cent of them entered technological institutes. 4) In the last several years the number of students in technological institutes has risen by more than one million bringing the total enrolment to almost three million. 5) This means that young people are interested in the specialities connected with new branches of science and technology.
6) Today a student must assimilate large amounts of new information and it is growing all the time. 7) A large part of study time is devoted to basic subjects. 8) The first- and second- year students study general engineering subjects, a foreign language and a number of others. 9)This enables future specialists to attain greater professional knowledge and assimilate more modern methods of scientific research, advanced production technology, its organization and management. 10) The students making good progress get state grants.
11) Education plays an important part in the life of any country as it provides the country with the highly-qualified specialists for its further development and progress.12) Top priority is given to improving the standards of higher education – especially in science and technology. 13) Specialists in all fields should have general education to supplement their specialized knowledge and thereby enable them to use it most effectively.
VI. Расположите предложения по порядку согласно содержанию текста.
1) The qualification of the future specialists will determine the scientific and technological progress of the country.
2) It is known that the knowledge of general engineering subjects is the basis for the study of special subjects.
3) Students interested in science and technology enter technological institutes and universities.
4) The number of specialists connected with new branches of science and engineering is increased every year.
VII. Найдите в тексте следующие слова и словосочетания, выпишите их и выучите.