Задание 1. Прочитайте текст, переведите его письменно.
London is the capital of Great Britain, its political, economic and commercial centre. It is one of the largest cities in the world and the largest city in Europe. Its population is about 8 million.
London is one of the oldest and most interesting cities in the world.
Traditionally it is divided into several parts: the City, Westminster, the West End and the East End. They are very different from each other and seem to belong to different towns and epochs.
The heart of London is the City, its financial and business centre. Numerous banks, offices and firms, are situated there, including the Bank of England, the Stock Exchange and the Old Bailey. Few people live here, but over a million people come to the City to work. There are some famous ancient buildings within the City. Perhaps the most striking I of them is St Paul´s Cathedral, the greatest of English churches. It was built in the 17th century by Sir Christopher Wren, The Tower of London was founded by Julius Caesar and in 1066 rebuilt by William the Conqueror. It was used as a fortress, a royal palace and a prison. Now it is a museum.
Westminster is the historic, the governmental part of London.
Задание 2. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту:
1. What kind of city is London?
2. How many people live in London?
3. How is London divided?
4. What is the heart of London?
5. What is situated in the City?
6. When was St. Paul’s Cathedral built?
7. Who was the Tower of London founded by?
8. How was the Tower of London used?
Задание 3. Найдите в тексте предложения в Passive Voice (страдательном залоге). Выпишите их, подчеркните сказуемое.
Задание 4. Раскройте скобки, поставьте нужный по смыслу глагол – в действительном или страдательном залоге. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. I (to translate) the text yesterday.
2. The text (to translate) yesterday.
3. We (to buy) different clothes at the department store.
4. Clothes (to buy) at the department store.
5. (clean) the blackboard, please.
6. The blackboard (to clean)
7. These cars (not to make) in Rostov.
8. They (to invite) to dinner.
9. Students (to finish) their work last week.
10. The work (to finish) last week.
Задание 5. Задайте вопросы к подчеркнутым словам.
a) 1. London is situated on the river Thames.
2. Traditionally London is divided into several parts.
3. The Tower of London was founded by Julius Caesar in ancient times.
b) 1. Few people live in the City.
2. Numerous banks, offices and firms are there in the City.
3. The Tower of London was a fortress, a royal palace and a prison.
Задание 6. Составьте предложения, используя данные слова:
Достопримечательности Лондона Слова для высказывания
1. Здание парламента Parliament, the, of, Houses, are, in, the, beautiful, Europe, among, most, buildings.
2. Букингемский дворец home, of, is, the, palace, Buckingham, kings, queens, and.
3. Площадь Пиккадилли End, West, heart, of, Circus, is, Piccadilly, the.