1. Перепишите следующие предложения, подставляя модальные глаголы или их эквиваленты. Переведите предложения письменно.
1) To make the air hot enough, the Diesel engine (должен) to use higher pressure than the petrol engine.
2) He (не сможет) to do it alone.
3) The recognition that isotopes (могут) exist was first forced upon chemists from the study of the radioactive elements.
2. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык. Подчеркните сказуемое в страдательном залоге.
1) This new machine is much spoken about.
2) They have been supplied with all necessary firefighting equipment.
3) The report will be followed by a discussion.
4) Passengers are not allowed to smoke in cabins.
5) Water cannot be used for putting out electrical fires.
3. Перепишите предложения, выбрав причастие нужной формы. Предложения переведите на русский язык.
1) Last year I read his book (translating, translated) into Russian.
2) He doesn’t understand these instructions. He is (confusing, confused).
3) The floor was covered with (burning, burnt) paper.
4. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на перевод герундия.
1) A voltmeter is used for measuring electrical force.
2) The company specializes in manufacturing fire equipment.
3) Phosphine is prepared by heating white phosphorus in a concentrated solution of sodium hydroxide.
4) Sulphur is hardened by being mixed with a little copper.
5) Phosphorus burns in chlorine without being lighted.
5. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на перевод инфинитива.
1) The intention of the author is to show some new methods.
2) The first scientist to discover this phenomenon is N.
3) He is considered to be one of the best in his profession.
4) Crookes was the first to recognize the cathode rays as negatively charged particles.
5) It is usually rather difficult to get nitrogen to combine with other elements.
6) The effect is too small to be detected.
6. Переведите словосочетания на русский язык, обращая внимание на -ing окончания:
fire venting out of; arriving chief; entering the cockloft; the task of stretching a 2 ½ inch handline; by supporting the firewall; preventing further horizontal fire spread; working under a controlled command system; carrying out the assignments; knowing the proper application;
7. Прочитайте текст
He works best who knows his trade
The Monroeville Fire Department´s Rescue team arrived at the scene of an apartment building in the early morning hours to find heavy smoke and fire venting out of a basement apartment. The building was a garden apartment structure with two storeys in the front and three in the rear because of the topography, since it was built into a hillside. Each floor had four apartments between stairwells. Firewalls or separation walls protected each stairwell. The basement apartment was fully involved in the rear. The crew stretched a preconnected 1,5-inch hoseline through the front door and down the steps to attack the fire and protect the interior.
The other first-alarm units arrived and began normal fire ground operations, search and rescue, water supply, ventilation, and secondary fire attack lines. The arriving chief quickly ordered the second alarm.
Upon my arrival, on a second-alarm engine, the fire had autoextended up the rear of the building, entering the cockloft, and was venting through the roof in several areas. The third alarm was sounded. We were assigned the task of stretching a 2-inch handline up the southern stairwell, pulling the ceiling, and supporting the firewall. By supporting the firewall, I mean we were to ensure that the fire did not get past us into the next set of apartments. A second engine company with a 1-inch handline assisted us. Although an uncommon procedure today, we operated for the duration of our SCBA bottles, exited for fresh bottles twice, and returned.