1. Переведите интернациональные слова: republic, temperature, continent, territory, mineral, president, symbol, horizontal, symbolize.
2. Переведите однокоренные слова, обращая внимание на словообразовательные элементы:
a) independent, independence, independency, dependence,
б) populate, population, populated, populating;
в) symbol, symbolization, symbolize, symbolized.
3. Поставьте следующие предложения в вопросительную форму:
а) There are 1030 towns and cities in Russia.
б) It occupies about one-seventh part of dry land.
4. Поставьте следующие предложения в отрицательную форму:
а) The population of Russia is about 150 million people.
Стр. 30 из 92
б) Russia borders on 14 countries.
5. Переведите текст на русский язык. Russia 1. Russia, or the Russian Federation, the largest state of the new Commonwealth of Independent States. It is one of the largest countries in the world. It occupies about one-seventh part of dry land. It is situated in Europe and Asia. Its total area is over 17 million square kilometres. 2. The population of Russia is about 150 million people. There are 1030 towns and cities in this country. St. Petersburg, Krasnoyarsk, Ufa, Rostov-on-Don, Vladivostok are the main cities in Russia. Moscow, with 9 million people, is its capital. Russian is the state language of country. 3. Russia borders on 14 countries including the former republics of the USSR, which are now independent states. It is washed by the Arctic Ocean in the North and Pacific Ocean in the East, the Black and the Caspian Seas in the South and the Baltic Sea in the West. 4. There are different types of climate on the territory of the country. It is very cold in the North even in summer. The central part of the country has mild climate: winters are cold, springs and autumns are warm or cool, summers are hot and warm. In the South the temperature is usually above zero all year round. The climate of Siberia is continental: summers are hot and dry, winters are very cold. 5. Russia is very rich in mineral resources, such as oil, gas and coal. It has many rivers and lakes. The Volga is the longest river in Europe and the Yenisei and Ob in Asia. The lake Baikal is the deepest lake in the world. The most famous mountains are the Urals and the Caucuses. 6. Russia is a Presidential Republic. The President is elected for 4 years and is the head of the state. The Federal Government consists of three branches: legislative, executive and judicial. All of them are checked by the President. 7. The legislative power is represented by the Federal Assembly. It consists of 2 chambers: the Council of Federation and the State Duma. The executive power belongs to the Government. The judicial branch is represented by the Constitutional, Supreme and regional Courts. 8. The national symbol of Russia is two-head eagle watching the West and the East, Europe and Asia. The flag of Russia has three horizontal stripes: white, blue and red. The white stripe symbolizes the earth, the blue one – the sky, and the red one symbolizes liberty.
6. Ответьте на вопросы:
Стр. 31 из 92
а) Where is the Russian Federation situated?
б) What is the capital of our country?
в) What oceans is Russia washed by?
г) What colours does Russian flag have?
7. Переведите, обращая внимание на значение префиксов:
dependent – independent, national – international, tropical – subtropical, build – rebuild, large – enlarge.
8. Составьте два специальных вопроса по тексту.
9. Составьте два общих вопроса по тексту.
10. Составьте по-английски план пересказа текста.