I. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Подчеркните в них инфинитив и определите его форму и функцию. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. My parents never let me read in bed.
2. I don’t hear a word though he seems to be speaking.
3. I’m happy not to have failed you.
4. I felt that to send the letter to Porcharlester would only pain him uselessly.
II. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Подчеркните в них причастия I и II, определите их форму и функцию. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. The work begun by him is very important.
2. The corrected texts were on the table.
3. The man sitting at the window made an interesting report yesterday.
4. While seeing the film, I remembered my childhood.
III. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Подчеркните в них герундий, определите его форму и функцию. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. He devoted the rest of his life to cultivating roses.
2. Lord Goring liked to speak paradoxes and enjoyed being misunderstood.
3. The mother thanked the doctor heartily, for having saved her child’s life.
4. We are tired of listening to your complaints.
IV. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Переведите данные предложения, обращая внимание на слова-заменители that и one.
1. These shoes are too large; show me smaller ones, please.
2. I don’t like this method, let’s use another one.
3. It is a very interesting book but not more than that of my sister.
4. This armchair is more comfortable than that in the corner of the room.
V. Прочитайте и письменно переведите следующий текст.
We are healthy when all parts of our bodies and of our minds work together properly. We cannot be happy unless we feel well.
The ancient Greeks knew the value of good health. They even named one goddess Hygeia, which means goddess of health. Hygeia was the daughter of Asclepius, the god of medicine. The Greeks prayed to her to give them good health.
The Romans spoke of health in a proverb: "A healthy mind in a healthy body." In addition to physical health, an understanding of mental health is also important. The body does a great deal to take care of itself, but by learning a few important health rules, it is possible to help the body to work at its best.
Many people will say: "Good health means not being ill." That is true. But health is more than that. Good health is something positive. We have good health when our bod¬ies and our minds are able to work at their best.
The human body is much more complicated than any machine. Yet it needs less day-to-day care than machine. No machine can do all the things the body can do. No ma¬chine will work for 70 years.