Task 1. Fill in the gaps with the correct adjectives in comparative and
superlative form and underline them. Translate the sentences into your native
1. The ______ state school was The Ramsgate School, a secondary modern in Kent,
where only 4% of the 129 students in 2003 achieved at least five good grades.
2. Trudeau won the title as the third-______ Canadian in a 2004 television contest.
3. His _______ son is an aspiring federal Liberal party candidate. (old)
4. The Air Force is the ________ place to be if you’re a person who likes
information technology. (good )
5. Information Technologies employees should look for those ____ and ____
practices when they consider changing jobs. (good, bad )
6. This book is ________ than that book. (cheap )
7. New York is the _________ city in the USA. (exciting )
8. This test is _________ than the last test. (difficult )
9. It is _________ to learn English than any other language. (interesting )
10. The exam was quite easy – _________ than we expected. (easy )
Task 2. Put the verbs in brackets into the correct tense form (Present Indefinite,
Past Indefinite, Future Indefinite) and underline them. Translate the sentences into
your native language.
1. Every child always ______ the right to learn and nobody has the right to disrupt
that learning. (have)
2. Last year we _______ that each lecture specify these intended outcomes in the
simple format. (ask )
3. Tomorrow we _____ _____ several questions regarding how to write a good
lesson plan. (receive )
4. The survey usually _______ how managers can better recruit specialists in
5. Last year we ____ ahead, _____ our experts and ____ some research.
(go, ask, do )
6. The learning needs of the students determine the tasks and activities which the
teacher _______ the students during class time. (offer)
7. An interpreter ________ from one language into another. (translate )
8. I knew the teacher was very busy, so I __________ her. (disturb )
9. I don’t know how to use this computer. Ok, I _______ ______ you. (teach )
10. Most people ________ to swim when they are children. (learn )
Task 3. Fill each gap with the best word from the given alternatives. Underline
the chosen option. Translate the sentences into your native language.
1. Wales is about the half the size of Switzerland, and it has a population of
a. two and three quarter million b. two and three quarter millions
c. two and three quarters million
2. Snowdon is Britain’s __________ highest mountain.
a. two b. second c. secondth
3. His son, Edward, became the _______ prince of Wales.
a. one b. oneth c. first
4. Over the last _________ years the number of Welsh-speaker has fallen very
a. hundredth b. hundred c. one hundred
5. Now only ___________ of Welsh people speak Welsh.
a. twenties percent b. twenty percents c. twenty percent
Task 4. Complete each sentence with the correct form of the word in brackets.
Underline the new form of the word. Translate the sentences into your native
1. The golden rule is to do lots of ________ at regular intervals. (REVISE)
2. What made you choose law as a ___________ ? (PROFESS)
3. Students’ _________ on every word improves their fluency. (CONCENTRATE)
4. They should also take every _________ to use the words in communication.
5. Learners who like using the foreign language improve their oral ___________ .