Задание 1. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление модальных глаголов. Подчеркните модальные глаголы в английских предложениях и в переводе.
1. Drivers must not surpass the speed of 60 km within the city limits.
2. Can you show me the way to the station?
3. Passengers will be able to reserve the tickets in advance.
4. You have to carry this equipment in boxcars because it requires protection against weather.
5. The students will be allowed to do this work in a new laboratory.
Задание 2. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление времён группы Continuous (Present, Past, Future) и группы Perfect (Present, Past, Future) в действительном и страдательном залогах. Выпишите сказуемые и укажите их видовременные формы.
1. For many years, railway track has been laid and repaired by hard manual labor. Now this work is being done by means of up-to-date track machines and mechanisms.
2. The new American turbo-train has covered a 230-mile distance in 3 hours 15 minutes with four stops between Boston and New York.
3. Hurry up! I am afraid by the time we get to the station the train will have already left.
Задание 3. Перепишите и переведите предложения, поставив глагол в нужную форму.
1. Reinforced concrete and steel (to use –Present Indefinite Active) widely now for the construction of modern bridges.
2. With the introduction of Centralized Traffic Control system, the safety of railway operation (to increase –Present Perfect Active) greatly.
3. The car (to move- Past Continuous Active) very fast and the traffic policeman (to stop- Past Indefinite Active) it for over-speeding.
Задание 4. Перепишите и переведите предложения, выбрав правильную форму сказуемого (Active or Passive)
1. After the reconstruction of this line, track maintenance cost (will reduce; will be reduced) considerably.
2. Great attention (pays, is paid) to ecological problems all over the world.
3. Be careful! The train (is approaching, is being approached) the station.
Задание 5. Перепишите и переведите текст.
Lomonosov Moscow State University.
One of the oldest Russian institutions of higher education, Moscow State University was established in 1755. In 1940 it was named after Academician
Mikhail Lomonosov (1711 - 1765), an outstanding Russian scientist, who greatly contributed to the establishment of the university in Moscow.
Nowadays, the University retains its role of a major center of learning and research as well as an important cultural center. Its academics and students follow the long-standing traditions of the highest academic standards and democratic ideals.
It offers training in almost all branches of modern science and humanities. Its undergraduates may choose one of 128 qualifications in its 39 faculties, while postgraduate students may specialize in 18 branches of science and humanities and in 168 different areas. More than 40 000 students (graduate and postgraduate) and about 10 000 undergraduates study at the university, and over 5 000 specialists do the refresher course here. More than 6 000 professors and lecturers, and about 5 000 scientists and scholars are currently involved in 350 research projects in various fields. Every year Moscow University enrolls about 4 000 international students and postgraduates from all over the world.
The head of a university is Rector. Each faculty has a number of specialized departments and is headed by dean. As training highly qualified specialists has always been the main goal, the faculties and departments constantly revise their curricula and introduce new programs. A number of faculties offer 4-year Bachelor’s and 2-year Master’s Degree programs, together with traditional 5-year Specialist Degree programs. Currently the stress is on student´s ability to work independently and meet employer´s requirements, thus practical experience in the field being of foremost importance.