Задание 1. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление прилагательных в сравнительной и превосходной степенях. Подчеркните прилагательные в английских предложениях и укажите степень сравнения.
1. Statistically, it is safer to travel by air than to drive a car.
2. It is much more convenient to travel by express train because it does not stop at small stations, and it takes you less time to get to your destination.
3. The faster the cars are loaded, the quicker will goods (товары) be delivered to the place of their destination.
Задание 2. Перепишите и переведите предложения, употребив прилагательные, данные в скобках, в сравнительной или превосходной степени.
1. The Trans – Siberian Railway is (long) in the world.
2. An electric computer will make our travel in high-speed trains (safe).
3. This student is the (attentive) in our group.
Задание 3. Перепишите и переведите предложения. Определите форму (Present, Past, Future) и функцию (основной, вспомогательный,
модальный) глаголов TO BE и TO HAVE. Подчеркните эти глаголы в английском варианте.
1. Rails are welded together after laying on the track.
2. Locomotives and cars (вагоны) for the first Russian Railway had to be ordered from abroad.
3. The civil engineers are trying to find the most suitable route.
4. There were several methods that reduced rail wear
5. Regular trains have definite times for arrival and departure.
Задание 4. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление времён группы Indefinite (Simple) (Present, Past, Future) в действительном и страдательном залоге. Выпишите сказуемые и укажите их видовременную форму и залог.
1. The railways play decisive role in the transportation of freight.
2. The plane tickets were bought at the travel agency.
3. She was advised to find another job.
Задание 5. Перепишите и переведите текст.
Pavel Petrovich Melnikov
P.P.Melnikov was a Russian engineer and administrator who, in the capacity of a Transport Minister was responsible for the introduction of railroad construction in Imperial Russia.
P.P.Melnikov was born in 1804; the place of his birth is unknown. He studied at the Military Construction School of Communication and became a leader in education, in the organization of practical training in workshops where he learnt the secrets of practical training.
In 1825 Melnikov graduated from the Institute of Transport Engineers. He remained as a teacher at the Institute and became a professor of applied mechanics in 1833. He also took part in several construction projects to improve the Russian network of rivers and canals. In 1839 P.P.Melnikov and his colleague N.O.Kraft were sent to the United States to inspect its railroad system and recommend the technology to be used in Russia. The report regarding U.S. railroads which Melnikov compiled upon his and Kraft’s return to their homeland is a massive contribution to American industrial and transportation history.
Based on his experience Melnikov suggested the adoption of a 5-foot wide gauge for the planned Moscow - St.Petersburg Railway. The gauge was approved
as the new standard on 12 September 1842.
When the construction of the Moscow – St. Petersburg Rail was started in 1842, Melnikov was appointed to manage the construction of its northern part.
From 1862 he was the chief manager of the railway.
Melnikov also contributed to water transportation systems and other engineering projects. He is the author of the first books about railway construction ever written in Russia.
In 1865 Melnikov became the first Minister of Transport P.P.Melnokov died in 1880 and was buried under the altar of the church of Luban.
Задание 6. Укажите, какие из следующих утверждений соответствуют содержанию текста. Используйте фразы: It is right. It is wrong. Исправьте
1. P.P.Melnikov was born in 1804 in Moscow.
2. He was a teacher at the Institute of Transport Engineers.