КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА №3
I. Переведите следующие предложения, определите функции Participle I u Participle II:
1. Molecular crystals axe solids constructed of molecules held together by relatively weak forces .
2. A body moving with a certain velocity carries within itself the kinetic energy of motion.
3. Unless properly treated the metal must not be applied for space technology.
II. Перепишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные значения глаголов tо be, to have, to do:
1. Man had to learn to obtain electric power directly from the Sun.
2. Some substances do not conduct heat.
3. A programme for the construction of new types of spaceships is to be carried out this year.
4. The chemical industry is one of the leading branches of economy.
III. Перепишите следующие предложения, определите в каждом из них видо-временную форму и залог глагола-сказуемого. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. The radar has been used for the automatic control of ground transport.
2. Today plastics are being widely used instead of metals.
З. The construction of the dam has been completed this month.
4. This material is unaffected by solar radiation.
IV. Перепишите и письменно переведите на русский язык следующие предложения:
1. Elements are characterized by some properties distinguishing them from other substances.
2. Light and food industries have been modernized, much being done to expand the production of consumer goods.
3. An experiment demonstrating the existence of an ultraviolet and infrared spectrum must be performed.
V. Переведите текст на русский язык:
1. A Russian name appeared in 1964 on the honorary board of science at Bridgeport University, USA: Mendeleev was added to the list of the greatest geniuses - Euclid, Archimedes, Copernicus, Galilee, Newton. D.I. Mendeleev, the explorer of nature, is the greatest chemist of the world. The Mendeleev system has served for almost 100 years as a key to discovering new elements-and it has retained until now.
2. D.I Mendeleev was the fourteenth and last child of the Director of the Gymnasium at Tobolsk. At 16 he. was sent by his mother to St. Petersburg to seek higher education. He entered the Pedagogi¬cal Institute where his father had also studied. In 1856 he took a degree in chemistry and in 1859 he was sent abroad for 10 two years for further training. He returned to St. Petersburg in .. 1861 as Professor of Chemistry.
3. In 1868 Mendeleev began to write a great textbook of chemistry, known in its English translation as the "Principles of Chemistry".
He tried to find some system of classifying the elements-some 60 in all then known - the properties of -which he was describing. This led him to formulate the Periodic Law, which earned him international fame. He presented it to the Russian Chemical Society in October 1868 and published in February I869.
4. In this paper he set out clearly his discovery that if the ele¬ments are arranged in order of their atomic weights, chemically related elements appear at regular intervals. The greatness of Mendeleev´s achievement lies in the fact that he had discovered a generalization that not only unified an enormous amount of existing information but pointed the way to further progress.
VI. Найдите правильный ответ:
1. The greatness of Mendeleev´s achievement lies in the fact that his Periodic Table pointed the way to further progress in chemistry.
2. Mendeleev had discovered several new elements.
3. Mendeleev created the system of classifying chemical elements.