I. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения, подчеркните в каждом из них модальный глагол. Переведите письменно эти предложения на русский язык.
1. We can see the lake from our bedroom window.
2. You must work hard at your English if you want to know it.
3. May I use the phone, please?
4. He knew he should tell them everything.
5. You ought to look after your children better.
II. Прочитайте и перепишите приведенные ниже предложения, подчеркните в каждом из них синоним или эквивалент модального глагола. Определите модальный глагол, синонимом или эквивалентом которого он является. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. I haven’t been able to sleep recently.
2. You will have to be at work at 9 in the morning.
3. Tom was to take part in the baseball match last week but he fell ill.
4. James has to take an educational course next September.
5. She was not allowed to say anything of that to anyone.
III. Прочитайте и перепишите приведенные ниже предложения. Подчеркните в каждом из них глагол в Passive Voice, проанализируйте данные глаголы и письменно переведите эти предложения на русский язык.
1. English is the main foreign language which is taught within most school systems.
2. My father has been persuaded that roast meat is not healthy.
3. Do you know many paintings have been destroyed by vandals?
4. Suddenly he thought that something was expected of him.
5. The famous actress is being interviewed now for the “HELLO” magazine.
IV. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Подчеркните в них глаголы to be,
to have. Определите по грамматическим признакам, являются ли указанные глаголы: а) смысловыми; б) вспомогательными; в) эквивалентами или синонимами модального глагола (и какого); г) глаголом-связкой.
1. The traditional feature of Christmas in Britain is the Christmas tree.
2. When we walked through the entrance we saw shelves full of more toys than we have ever imagined.
3. By the time we reached the teacher we were wet from head to toe.
4. The Internet and its technology continue to have a profound effect in promoting the exchange of information.
V. Перепишите предложения с выделенными в них словами и переведите данные предложения, обращая внимание на перевод выделенных словосочетаний.
1. It was the new system of education that gave the best results.
2. It was the director who adopted the general plan of reconstruction.
3. Neither my friend nor I am fond of skating.
4. Either your children or my son has broken this vase.
5. Both students and teachers have already gathered in the big hall.
VI. Прочитайте и письменно переведите следующий текст.
A Japanese construction company plans to create a huge independent city-state, akin to the legendary Atlantis, in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. The city, dubbed "Marinnation", would have about one million inhabitants, two airports, and possibly even a space port. Marinnation, if built, would be a separate country but could serve as a home for international organizations such as the United Nations and the World Bank.
Aside from the many political and social problems that would have to be solved, the engineering task envisaged is monumental. The initial stage requires the building of a circular dam 18 miles in diameter attached to the sea bed in a relatively shallow place in International waters. Then, several hundred powerful pumps, operating for more than a year, would suck out the sea water from within the dam. When empty and dry, the area would have a city constructed on it. The actual land would be about 300 feet below sea level. According to designers, the hardest task from an engineering point of view would be to ensure that the dam is leak proof and earthquake proof.