I. Спишите, подчеркните сказуемое. Определите видовременную форму и залог глагола. Переведите предложения на русский язык:
1. He was much spoken to.
2. Man proposes, God disposes.
3. He studies at our institute.
4. They lived in London for a long time, but now they live in Edinburgh.
5. When I saw him he was going home.
6. In five years he will work as a manager.
7. We shall be writing our tests at 10 o’clock.
8. He has decided to sign this contract.
9. I’m often asked at the seminars.
10. - Is Mr. Brown working this week? - No, he is on holiday.
II. Поставьте предложения в вопросительную и отрицательную форму. К выделенным словам задайте специальные вопросы:
1. The chief was talking on the phone at that time.
2. They have obtained a license lately.
3. I trust him.
4. She saved up to go abroad.
5. There were only some days on doing that.
III. Заполните пропуски модальными глаголами или их эквивалентами:
1. … you remember the address?
2. - … I smoke here? - No, you … .
3. I finish this work today. I’m tired.
4. You … explain anything. I know everything.
5. You … to buy it now. Prices … go up.
IV. Поставьте вместо точек слова some, any, every, no или их производные:
1. - Have you … interesting to read? - Yes, come to my place. I’ve got … interesting books. You may take … of them.
2. You must ask … to help you in this work.
3. I know … about it.
4. He asked the secretary whether there was … waiting for him.
5. - Did you go … yesterday? - No, I didn’t but I shall go … tomorrow.
V. Раскройте скобки, поставив глаголы в соответствующую форму. Помните о согласовании времен в придаточных условия и времени.
1. If you (to catch) a taxi, you (to meet) Mary at the station.
2. When the bus (to come) we (to be) ready to go.
3. If I (to hear) any news, I (to phone) you.
4. The manager (to ring) you up when he (to come).
5. As soon as we (to receive) your telegram, we (to instruct) our Moscow office to prepare the goods for shipment.
VI. Замените прямую речь косвенной:
1. I said to him: “Open the door, please.”
2. The manager said to the secretary: “Copy the letter.”
3. She asked: “Don’t be late.”
4. “Buy some meat in the shop,” said my wife to me.
5. The boss said to them: “Don’t leave the office during the break.”
VII. Спишите, подчеркните причастие II, определите его функцию и переведите предложение на русский язык:
1. The question discussed at a number of meetings last month has been now decided.
2. Sent to the wrong address the letter didn’t reach him.
3. The captain informed us of the quantity of wheat loaded.
4. Part of the cargo was placed on deck.
VIII. Спишите и переведите. Обращая внимание на перевод сложного дополнения (Complex Object):
1. I would like the secretary to make an appointment with the marketing manager.
2. Our manager heard Mr. Brown promising to deliver the machines promptly.
3. - You expect the compressors to be shown in operation, don’t you? - Yes, we do. But I’m afraid that won’t be shown.
4. - When do you want the goods to be delivered? - By the end of the year.