I. Перепишите и письменно переведите следующие предложения, обращая внимание на степени сравнения прилагательных и наречий, а также сравнительные конструкции и союзы.
1. Of all fire detectors heat detectors are the slowest in detecting fires.
2. Potassium chloride is more corrosive than other dry-chemical extinguishing agents.
3. Propane is as explosive as acetylene.
4. Fire gases either displace oxygen or dilute its concentration.
5. Both gas and electric stoves can easily cause fires.
6. The more incidents a firefighter attends, the more experienced he becomes.
II. Перепишите и письменно переведите на русский язык следующие предложения, содержащие модальные глаголы или их эквиваленты. Подчеркните их.
1. High expansion foam can provide effective protection against radiated heat from a fire.
2. Firefighters should understand the importance of physical fitness and a healthy lifestyle as it relates to the performance of their duties.
3. The fire chief will have to rapidly assess the problem at the fire scene and plan a course of action. 4. Firefighters were able to control the fire within 30 minutes.
5. Rescuers are not allowed to work without protective clothing.
III. Перепишите и письменно переведите предложения, обращая внимание на особенности перевода причастий и независимого причастного оборота.
1. Wind can cause great difficulties for firefighters operating at any type of fire.
2. Fire detection systems installed in a building can be numerous in design and in type.
3. Having applied foam firefighters suppressed the fire.
4. The fire having broken out, firefighters quickly managed to control it.
IV. Перепишите и письменно переведите предложения в страдательном залоге.
1. An advantage of carbon dioxide is that it leaves no residue after the fire is extinguished.
2. Rescue efforts were hampered by the extraordinary level of heat generated by the explosion.
3. Spray can be used at most fires except a solid jet of water is necessary to reach the heart of the fire.
4. Firefighters may be often called on to provide medical assistance to injured people.
V. Перепишите и письменно переведите предложения, содержащие инфинитив, объектный и субъектный инфинитивный обороты, герундий.
1. To cool a large surface and to prevent fire spread, it is necessary to use water in the form of a spray.
2. We heard them develop innovative fire equipment.
3. Buildings of this type are known to retain large concentrations of heat.
4. Low expansion foam is effective in controlling and extinguishing most class B fires.
VI. Прочтите и устно переведите текст "Cooling as a Fire Extinguishment Method".
1) Перепишите и письменно переведите 2 и 3 абзацы.
2) Ответьте письменно на вопросы к тексту по-русски:
a) What is called "the combination attack"?
b) When may the technique "combination attack" be used?
Fire Extinguishment Methods
There are three most commonly applied methods of fire attack. They are direct attack, indirect attack and combination attack. Direct attack. Water is applied directly to the burning fuel to cool it to the point where there is no longer pyrolysis. However, it is important to remember that combustion does not necessarily cease when flaming combustion is no longer visible. Surface combustion can continue unless sufficient cooling is accomplished to not only extinguishing flaming combustion but also to cool the fuel to the point where it is no longer burning. Indirect attack. It is used when the fire seat cannot be readily assessed. Water is applied from the exterior of a very hot compartment with limited ventilation. The goal is to create as much steam as possible. To do so, firefighters can begin with a fog stream since it is the most effective agent at cooling. The fog stream should be directed at the ceiling where it is hottest. When the straight stream hits the superheated walls and ceilings, it would create a huge amount of steam as it cools the surfaces