Английский язык. Контрольная работа №9
1. Ознакомьтесь с содержанием статьи и вставьте предложение (a-f) там, где оно подходит по смыслу (1-5). Одно предложение по смыслу не подходит.
a Up to $20 billion having been set aside to deal with the cleanup and the legal claims it faces.
b We have accepted all the recommendations and are examining how best to implement them across our drilling operations worldwide.
c Analysts have pointed out that around 40 per cent of BP is owned by US based institutional shareholders.
d We have said from the beginning that the explosion on the Deepwater Horizon was a shared responsibility among many entities.
e A sequence of failures involving a number of different parties led to the explosion and fire which killed 11 people.
f They also had to learn the lessons of the incident to help reduce the risk of a similar event occurring in the future.
BP has published a report on the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico happened on 20th April which led to one of the world´s worst oil pollution inci-dents. BP said: "The investigation found that no single factor caused the Macondo well tragedy. (1) … It caused widespread pollution in the Gulf of Mexico destroying the habitat of many species". The report was compiled by technical experts from within BP and from outside and took four months to complete.
The explosion which also had a major impact on thousands of people living in Gulf coast towns and for the ecology of the area. It has already cost the company an estimated $8 billion. (2) … BP takes its responsibilities over the incident seriously. However, ever since the event happened BP has maintained that some responsibility for the tragedy lay with others. The incoming chief executive, Bob Dudley, said: "(3) … This report makes that conclusion even clearer, presenting a detailed analysis of the facts and recommendations for improvement both for BP and the other parties involved. (3) … "
The report sets out a number of key observa-tions by the investigation team which led to the explosion. It was unlikely, it concludes, that the well design contributed to the disas-ter which led to some 4.3 million barrels of oil escaping into the Gulf of Mexico. Halli-burton and Transocean, two other companies involved in the oil extraction process on the rig, also had to share some of the responsibility. (4) … Twenty-five recommendations have been made by the investigation team as a result of its findings. BP has said that it accepts all of these findings. It also says that the investigation contains some important lessons for the industry as a whole but that further information might become available when it is able to analyse cement samples and the blow-out preventer, which failed.
2. Найдите в статье английские эквиваленты следующих фраз.
o …судебные иски, с которыми столкнется компания…
o …как лучше всего учесть рекомендации…
o …отложить в сторону…
o …брать на себя ответственность…
o …оказать огромное влияние…
3. Ответьте на вопросы относительно содержания статьи. Выписывать похожие на вопросы предложения из статьи не нужно.
1. Who was responsible for the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico?
2. How much would BP lose to minimize the impact of the oil spill?
3. Will the company oppose the recommendations of the investigation team?
4. Did the explosion happen because of the well design?
5. Who compiled the report on the explosion of the Deepwater Horizon oil rig?
4. Отметьте предложенные предложения T (True - верно), F (false - не верно), NM (Not Mentioned – не упоминается).
1. 11 workers of the oil rig died after the explosion.
2. Halliburton and Transocean, two other companies involved in the oil extraction process on the rig are not responsible for the disaster.