Задание 1. Прочитайте и письменно переведите текст.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is situated on the British Isles. It consists of four parts: England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.
England, Wales and Scotland occupy the territory of Great Britain and Northern Ireland is situated in the northern part of Ireland. The territory of the United Kingdom is about 244000 square kilometers. The population is over 56 million people, The capital of the United Kingdom is London.
The surface of the United Kingdom varies greatly. The northern and the western parts of the country are mountainous and are called the Highlands. All the rest is a vast plain which is called the Lowlands. The mountains are not very high. The rivers are not very long. The most important of them are the Severn and the Thames. There are many beautiful lakes in the mountainous part of the country.
The mountains, the Atlantic Ocean and the warm waters of the Gulf Stream influence the climate of Great Britain. It is mild the whole year round. Winters are not cold and summers are not hot.
Great Britain is a highly developed industrial country. It is known as one of the world’s largest producers and exporters of iron and steel products, machinery and electronics, chemicals and textile. One of the industries is shipbuilding.
Great Britain is a country with old cultural traditions and customs. The most famous educational centres are Oxford and Cambridge universities. They are considered to be the intellectual centres of Europe. The education is not free, it is very expensive.
The United Kingdom is a monarchy and the Queen is the head of the state. But in practice it is ruled by the government with Prime Minister at the head. The British Parliament consists of two chambers: the House of Lords and the House of Commons.
There are three main political parties in the Great Britain.: the Labour party, the Conservative party and the Liberal party.
Задание 2. Ответьте на вопросы письменно.
1. What is the official name of Great Britain?
2. Where is it situated?
3. What parts does it consist of?
4. What city is the capital of Great Britain?
5. Are there any big rivers and lakes in the UK?
6. What is the climate on the British Isles?
7. What goods does the British industry produce?
8. Who is the head of state?
9. How many chambers does the British Parliament consist of? What are they?
Задание 3. Составьте вопросы к предложениям:
a) My granny watches all the soap operas on TV. (все виды вопросов)
b) He is dancing with his girlfriend at the disco now (When …?/ …or at the party?).
c) They went to Moscow last year. (все виды вопросов)
d) He will visit us on Sunday. (все виды вопросов)
Задание 4. Выберите правильный вариант из предложенных:
1. Every weekday she __________ at 7:30.
1) get up;
2) is getting;
3) gets up;
4) has got up
2. Do you know what they __________ now.
2) are discussing;
4) were discussing
3. What shall I do? I __________ my passport.
2) have lost;
3) had lost;
4) has lost
4. This is a modern town. There _______ many old buildings here.
5. Please give me __________ interesting to read.
6. She came home late.
1) When she came home?
2) When came she home?
3) When did she came home?
4) When did she come home?
7. The river Danube __________ Budapest into two parts
1) is dividing;
8. The students __________ an English text now.
2) are translating;
4) have been translating
9. Open the door. The postman __________ a letter for you.
2) has brought;
3) will bring;
10. She comes from Scotland.
1) Does she comes from Scotland?
2) Do she come from Scotland?
3) Does she come from Scotland?
4) She comes from Scotland?