I. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните в каждом из них глагол - сказуемое и определите его видовременную форму и залог. Переведите предложения на русский язык. В разделе (б) обратите внимание на перевод пассивных конструкций.
а) 1. Russian science is successfully solving many complex problems.
2. Sakharov protested against the invasion in Afganistan.
3. They are organizing this kind of work at their laboratory.
4. He had finished his work by 6 oclock.
5. Sakharov knew that people would use the atomic and nuclear weapon not only in peaceful purposes.
6. We believe his great ideas will come true.
б) 1. Abroad Sakharov was recognized as a civil rights activist.
2. He is remembered by everybody as an outstanding humanist and philosopher.
3. The experiments will be completed by the end of week.
4. In 1947 the Russian scientists announced that the secret of the atom bomb no longer existed.
5. The USA had lost its atomic monopoly in 1947.
6. The most important results have been obtained by splitting the atom of uranium.
П. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните Participle I и Participle II и установите функции каждого из них, т.е. укажите, является ли оно определением, обстоятельством или частью глагола - сказуемого. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. While working on the problem of hydrogen bomb he realized that any atomic and nuclear weapon should be banned.
2. The atoms forming our planet are built of negative electrons, positive protons and ordinary neutrons.
3. Marie and Pierre Curie discovered that radium sent out rays consisting of particles smaller than atom.
4. Atomic reactor generates tiny, swiftly moving pieces of atoms.
5. Sakharov exiled to the city of Gorky continued to work successfully.
6. While making calculations the engineer made some mistakes.
III. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните в каждом из них модальный глагол или его эквивалент. Переведите предложения на рус¬ский язык.
1. Only in 1985 Sakharov was allowed to come back to Moscow.
2. A few pounds of uranium 235 can supply a medium - sized town with all electric¬ity that it needs during a whole year.
3. There is still no final model of the atom: Man has yet to find the complete answer to natures atomic secret.
4. Sakharov new about "terrible means of destruction" and felt that he could never be happy again.
5. He realized even in 1968 that our society should develop in a new direction.
6. This energy can make an electron pass from one orbit to another.
IV. Прочитайте текст и переведите его устно, затем перепишите и пись-менно переведите абзацы 2 и 4.
A. D.Sakharov: Man and Legend
1. Andrei Dmitrievich Sakharov, an outstanding scientist and public figure, was born on 1921. The biography of A. Sakharov as one of the "secret" authorities in thermo¬nuclear physics mainly falls on the times of the "thaw" (оттепель). In 1948 he began serious work on hydrogen bomb and while working on the problem he came to con¬clusion that any atomic and nuclear weapon should be banned.
2. He wrote many articles on the problem which were published abroad. He pro-tested against the invasion in Afghanistan, against every violation of human rights. Abroad Sakharov was recognized as civil rights activist and received the Peace No¬bels Prize.
3. At home he was persecuted, deprived of all his titles and orders and exiled to the city of Gorky. In Gorky he continued to work for peace, justice and human rights. Only in 1985 A.D. Sakharov was allowed to come back to Moscow. He was given back all his titles and was elected a deputy of Supreme Soviet. But he died in Decem¬ber 1989.
4. A.D. Sakharov is remembered by everybody as an outstanding humanist and phi¬losopher. He realized even in 1968 that our society should develop in a new direction. He foresaw the changes that are taking place now.