I. Выберите слово, наиболее подходящее по смыслу и обведите его кружком.
1. He is very stubborn, so it will be difficult to … him to go.
persuade suggest make prevent
2. From the hotel there is a good … of the mountains.
vision view sight picture
3. He went to Australia hoping to find a teaching … without too much difficulty.
work occupation employment post
4. There is no … in going to school if you’re not willing to learn.
reason aim point purpose
5. … you do better work than this, you won’t pass the exam.
Although If Unless When
6. I’m going to … all I can about the subject because I need this information.
discover find out know realize
7. Judging by the … Tom has put into his essay, he should do.
exercise effort labour work
8. That’s a nice coat, and the colour … you well.
fits matches shows suits
9. He’s left his book at home; he’s always so ….
forgetting forgotten forgettable forgetful
10. The children were suffering from the … of the hot weather.
consequences effects products results
II. Заполните пропуски предлогами и наречиями.
1. She is so careful … her health that she sends … a doctor even when there’s nothing wrong … her …all.
2. She was … such a hurry to get … the airport that … first she took no notice … a stranger following her.
3. I’m interested … chess but I’m not very good … it.
4. I’ve heard such a lot … him that I’m looking … seeing him very much.
5. He was so absorbed … his work that when I came …, he didn’t even look … (raise his head)
6. … my mind the boy is growing … a very nasty young man. If his parents don’t pay attention … his behavior, all this can lead … trouble.
III. Поставьте глагол в скобках в нужную форму, написав правильный ответ в отведённом месте. В случае, если перед глаголом стоит обозначение modal verb, выберите модальный глагол из предложенного списка: can, may, must, should, ought to, have to, be to, be able to, needn’t и внесите его в отведённое место в нужной форме, при этом глагол, следующий за модальным глаголом, также необходимо поставить в соответствующую форму.
My cousin and her husband live in Hanwell, one of the suburbs of London. One morning they woke up to find to their dismay that their car (1)_______(steal) from outside their house. They immediately ______(phone) the police to report the theft, before (3)__________(leave) for work by bus.
When they (4)___________(return) home later the same day, they (5)____________ (find) to their surprise that their car (6) _________(bring back) and (7)… (park) in its usual place outside their house. Under one of the windscreen wipers (8)________(be) a small envelope.
They quickly (9)________ (open) it and (10)______(find) a note (11) _______ (apologize) for ‘borrowing’ their car. The man who (12)________(write) it (13) (explain) … that he (14) _____ (not have) a car himself, but (modal verb + take) (15) … his wife to hospital in the middle of the night.
It (24) … (be) a perfect evening. They (25) ________ (have) front row seats and the show itself (26) … (be) every bit as good as they (27)_________ (expect) . They (28) ______ (be) in such a good mood after it that they (29) ______ (decide) to go for a meal at their favourite Italian restaurant. When they eventually (30) ______ (get) home just after midnight, a new shock (31)________ (await) them. While they (32) … (be) away, their house (33)________ (burgle)! Everything of value (34) _________(steal). They (35) ______(know) immediately who the thief (36) … (be) because (37) ______(lie) on the kitchen was a note in handwriting they (38) ____ (recognize) , (39)_________(say) : HOPE YOU (40)_______(enjoy) THE SHOW!