1. Переведите следующие предложения и определите функцию и форму инфинитива:
1) To walk in bad weather is not pleasant.
2) Our task is to master English.
3) I have come here to help you.
4) Some students of our Institute have been sent abroad to study English.
5) This is a good place to work in.
6) We knew the test to have been made.
7) They hope to be sent to the conference.
8) The work to be done here will take much time.
9) Helen opened the door to look into the room.
10) To enter this University requires a lot of hard work.
11) You may stay here.
12) To have met him was an event in my life.
13) The problem to be discussed at our meeting is very important.
14) I shall go for a walk after classes.
15) Mary was asked to look after the child.
2. Переведите следующие предложения и определите функцию и форму причастия:
1) He is looking for the book which he lost.
2) The street leading to our house is very wide.
3) Having read the article I do not need it any longer.
4) Cities and towns destroyed during the war, were built anew.
5) Having been built two centuries ago, the house has no lift.
6) It was clear that he had given us the wrong address.
7) He speaks like a man having his opinion of every thing.
8) Walking in the park, he met his old friend.
9) The cars now being produced at out plants are very good.
10) Sometimes he is sent to New York on business.
11) When asked he brought the papers at once.
12) The machine designed by him will help us greatly.
13) He is a leading scientist in this field.
14) Given the task he began to work.
15) The lecture was attended by many people.
3. Переведите следующие предложения и определите функцию герундия:
1) Swimming in bad weather is not pleasant.
2) We discussed opening a new business.
3) There stands a reading lamp on the table.
4) Instead of going home he went to the movies.
5) I shall never forget taking that examination.
6) There are several ways of producing electricity.
7) On coming home I took a bath.
8) Thank you for coming.
9) Seeing and believing are different things.
10) He left the room without saying a word.
11) Do you mind my staying here?
12) They went on talking.
13) This scientist achieved great results by working hard at the problem.
4. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на форму герундия:
1) She thanked him for having helped her.
2) We remember having been told about the different points of view on this theory.
3) I remember having obtained these data in our previous experiments.
4) We have been sent here for mastering English.
5) I’m sorry for having missed your lecture.
6) This TV-set wants being repaired.
7) I don’t like being read to.
5. Определите являются ли выделенные слова – причастием, отглагольным существительным или герундием.
1) Knowing English well he translated the article without a dictionary.
2) He took part in the sittings .
3) She is looking at the woman sitting at the window.
4) After saying this he left the room.
5) Have you any reason for saying such things?
6) The reading of this book took two hours.
7) He sat in the arm-chair reading a newspaper.
8) My little son shows his enjoyment by crying.
9) The crying child was comforted by his nurse.
10) She stopped crying, looked up, said nothing.
6. Переведите следующие предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на сложное дополнение:
A. 1) I felt somebody touch my hand.
2) We saw the car turn round the corner.
3) I heard somebody mention his name.
4) They watch him walk up the hill.
5) Nobody noticed him disappear.
B. 1) She wanted them to read that book.
2) He would like me to go with him to the theatre.
3) Every mother wishes her child to be talented.
4) I want the matter to be settled quickly.
5) I’d like my husband to get a new job.