1. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Подчеркните в них инфинитив и определите его форму и функцию. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. The teacher allowed us to use reference material while writing the report.
2. We were sorry to find out that most of the museums we wanted to see that day were closed.
3. One of the students had to miss quite a number of lessons.
4. To go on with this discussion is to waste time.
2. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Подчеркните в них причастия I и II, определите их форму и функцию. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Being late for the talks, they left before the party was over.
2. Not knowing the grammar rules, he made many mistakes.
3. I read several books translated into Russian by this author.
3. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Подчеркните в них герундий, определите его форму и функцию. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. She enjoyed being admired
2. I remember meeting him in Paris.
3. The child was afraid of being punished.
4. Everything depends on the contract being cancelled in time.
IV. Прочитайте и перепишите следующие предложения. Переведите данные предложения, обращая внимание на слова-заменители that и one.
1. This computer is more powerful than the one we need.
5. Прочитайте и письменно переведите следующий текст.
The capital of the USA is Washington. It is situated in the District of Columbia on the banks of the Potomac river and is named after the 1st US President -George Washington. There are many large cities in the country: New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, San-Francisco, Cleveland and some others.
The United States of America is a federal state, headed by the President. According to the US Constitution the powers of the Government are divided into 3 branches: legislative, executive and judicial. The legislative power belongs to the Congress consisting of the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Senate represents the states while the House of Representatives - the population. The executive power belongs to the President and his Administration (Vice-President and Cabinet of Ministers). The judicial power belongs to the Supreme Court and the system of Federal, state and district courts.
There are several political parties in the USA, the largest of them are the Republican (symbolized by a donkey) and the Democratic (symbolized by an elephant).
The USA is a highly developed industrial country. The transport network spreads into all sections of the country, but the web of railways and highways is much denser in the eastern half of the United States. In the early 1990s the United States had about 6.24 million km of streets, roads, and highways. The National Interstate Highway System, 68,449 km in length in the early 1990s, connected the nation´s principal cities and carried about one-fifth of all the road and street traffic.
More than 188 million motor vehicles were registered in the early 1990s. More than three-quarters were cars - one for every two persons in the country. About one-fifth of the vehicles were Lorries. Amtrak (the National Railroad Passenger Corporation), a federally subsidized concern, operates almost all the intercity passenger trains in the United States; it carried more than 22 million passengers annually in the early 1990s.