I. Перепишите следующие предложения, определите в каждом из них видо-временную форму и залог глагола-сказуемого (см. образец). Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. When much material had been looked through and some problems had been solved, the article was published.
2. Electric cars will be widely used in future.
3. Today plastics are being applied for car bodies (корпус автомобиля).
4. This lecturer is listened to with great interest.
II Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные значения слов it, that, one.
1. It is proved that light needs time to travel any distance.
2. One must take part in scientific work.
3. Specialists consider that in future city transport will reject gasoline.
III Перепишите предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные значения глаголов to be, to have, to do.
1. You have to come to the language laboratory of the Institute to work at your pronunciation.
2. This material does not possess elastic properties.
3. Scientists had to create new materials for industry.
4. The exam was to start in the morning.
IV Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на бессоюзное подчинение.
1. We know electricity produces heat.
2. The new materials the Soviet chemists developed were used in space technology.
V. Перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их на русский язык, обращая внимание на функцию инфинитива.
1. It is necessary for a Soviet specialist to know a foreign language.
2. The Soviet scientists were the first to construct and launch the space rocket.
3. Our idea was to design a new device for automatic control.
4. To increase the productivity of labour one must use the methods we have just described.
VI. Прочитайте и устно переведите с 1-го по 3-й абзацы текста. Перепишите и письменно переведите 1-й и 2-й абзацы.
THE TWENTY-FIRST CENTURY TRANSPORT
1. It has been a long time since train velocities first surpassed the 100 km per hour limit and they are now approaching 200 km per hour and even higher velocities in some countries. Is it possible to increase the speed with the help of the traditional wheel at the present stage in the development of transport facilities? Scientists and engineers in various countries have come to the conclusion that a new leap1 in velocity is possible only if the wheel is replaced with an air or magnetic cushion.2
2. In the USSR the All-Union Electrical Locomotive Engineering Research Institute is the leader in the development of high-speed ground transport. In collaboration3 with many other Soviet research centres, it is carrying out an extensive programme on high-speed ground transport. The advantages of high-speed ground transport to be used in future are obvious. At present air and road transport burns three-fourth of all produced fuels, and the combustion process, naturally, affects the earth’s ecology.
3. The future trains must be ecologically clean and noiseless. It has been estimated that the cost of high-speed ground, transport will be recouped4 three times faster than with the railways.
4. The high-speed ground transport will connect cities and industrial centres to airports. The first magnetic suspension train5 is not yet in operation, but its principle has found a way into technology.
VII. Прочитайте 4-й абзац текста и вопрос к нему. Из приведенных вариантов ответа укажите номер предложения, содержащего правильный ответ на поставленный вопрос:
What kind of transport will connect industrial cities to airports?
1. electric trains
2. high-speed ground transport
3. magnetic suspension trains