1. Определите залог нижеследующих ing-forms (инговых форм глагола)
I. Active Voice 2. Passive Voice
stealing, wounding, having entered, being helped, having searched, being told, being arrested, having been questioned, being acquitted, investigating.
2. Выделите в предложениях Gerund (Герундий). Переведите предложения.
1. He was proud of having entered the University.
2. She went out without saying a word.
3. On entering the room, the police found it empty.
4. Thank you for coming.
5 I thanked him for having helped me in my studies.
3. Выделите в предложениях Participle I (Причастие 1). Переведите предложения.
1. I caught him stealing my purchase.
2. The fired, wounding one of the bandits.
3. Not knowing the language he couldn´t explain anything.
4. I saw you passing our house.
5.Having arrived at the crime scene, the officer began to observe it.
4. Выпишите из предложений Participle II (Причастие 2) и Past Indefinite (глаголы в простом прошедшем времени). Переведите предложения
1. He translated the article published by this scientist.
2. All principles mentioned by the commission proposed observance of law.
3. The problem dealt with in this report was an important one.
4. The facts disclosed were more important than those recovered during thу interrogation.
5. When used this method didn´t give good results.
5. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление различных ing-forms (инговых форм глагола).
1. Even with increasing numbers of local and federal law enforcement officers, the police don´t have the ability to prevent every crime.
2. Soon after hiring private security, burglaries and robberies had decreased.
3. Americans have become accustomed to being watched by surveillance cameras. 4. The police chased after a fleeing suspect.
5. Detectives had been provided with valuable clue to use in solving this case.
ЗАДАНИЯ К ТЕКСТУ «А»
6. Прочитайте текст. Выпишите из него интернационализмы и слова, о значении которых можно догадаться без словаря (не менее 12 слов). Приведите их русскоязычные соответствия. Исключите слова, выписанные в контрольной работе №3.
Crime Trends and Patterns
Race and Crime. The racial differences in the crime rate are one of the most controversial areas of the criminal justice system. At first glance, crime statistics seem to support the idea that the African Americans in the US are disposed toward criminal behavior. Not all of the data, however, support that assertion. The point to remember when reviewing statistical studies of minority offenders and victims is that they tend to focus on race, which distinguishes groups based on physical characteristics such as skin, color, rather than ethnicity, which denotes national or cultural background. Thus the bull of criminological research in this area has focused on the differences between European Americans and African Americans, because the latter have been the largest minority group in the United States.
Age and Crime. The strongest statistical determination of criminal behavior appears to be age. Criminal activity has been, and continues to be, most among younger citizens. The young are also in more danger of beinig crime victims than other age group.
7. Определите тематику текста «А», выбрав из предложенных вариантов 4 правильных, расположите их в последовательном порядке и переведите их.
This text ...
• lists four written sources of American Criminal law.
• describes the rest six crime patterns mentioned in the first part of the text.
• explains the two basic functions of criminal law.
• mentions the role that guns and drugs play in crime trends
• identifies two social process theories of crime.
• points out the most controversial crime pattern and the most stable ones.
8. Перепишите вопросы к тексту «А» и письменно ответьте на них.
1. What are the most controversial and the stable c