Контрольная №4 по англ (Economy in Great Britain)
Содержимое: 50302234446023.rar (18,4 Кбайт)
Контрольная работа № 4
1. Прочитайте текст, переведите письменно 2, 5 и 6 абзацы.
Economy in Great Britain
Great Britain is one of the world´s leading industrialized nations. It has the 6th-largest national economy in the world measured by nominal gross domestic product (GDP) and 8th-largest in the world measured by purchasing power parity (PPP).
In the 18th century the UK was the first country to industrialize and during the 19th century had a dominant role in the global economy. From the late 19th century the Second Industrial Revolution in the United States and Germany presented an increasing economic challenge, and the costs of fighting World War I and World War II further weakened the UK´s relative position. However it still maintains a significant role in the world economy, particularly in financial services and the knowledge economy.
During the 1970s and 80s, nearly 3.5 million manufacturing jobs were lost, but in the 1990s over 3.5 million jobs were created in service-related industries. By the late 1990s, banking, insurance, business services, and other service industries accounted for two thirds of the GDP and employed almost 70% of the workforce. This trend was also reflected in a shift in Great Britain´s economic base, which has benefited the southeast, southwest, and Midlands regions of the country, while the north of England and Northern Ireland have been hard hit by the changing economy.
Great Britain has abundant supplies of coal, oil, and natural gas. Production of oil from offshore wells in the North Sea began in 1975, and the country is self-sufficient in petroleum. Other mineral resources include iron ore, tin, limestone, salt, china clay, oil shale, gypsum, and lead.
About 25% of Britain´s land is arable, and almost half is suitable for meadows and pastures. Its agriculture is highly mechanized and extremely productive; barley, wheat, rapeseed, potatoes, sugar beets, fruits, and vegetables are the main crops. The widespread dairy industry produces milk, eggs, and cheese. Beef cattle and large numbers of sheep, as well as poultry and pigs, are raised throughout much of the country. There is also a sizable fishing industry, with cod, haddock, mackerel, whiting, trout, salmon, and shellfish making up the bulk of the catch.
Since the early 1970s, Great Britain´s trade focus has shifted from the United States to the European Union, which now accounts for over 50% of its trade. Germany, the United States, France, and the Netherlands are the main trading partners, and the Commonwealth countries are also important. The country must import about 40% of its food supplies. Thus, its prosperity has been dependent upon the export of manufactured goods in exchange for raw materials and foodstuffs. The country´s chief exports are manufactured goods, machinery, fuels, chemicals, semifinished goods, and transport equipment. The chief imports are fruit and vegetables, machinery, consumer goods.
The economy of Great Britain is based largely on private enterprises but has some major publicly owned industries (notably coal, steel, gas, electricity and railways) and a few joint enterprises. The Government is reducing the size of the public sector, returning parts of the steel, transport, telecommunications and aerospace industries, for example, to private enterprise. Within the manufacturing sector, the largest industries include machine tools; electric power, automation, and railroad equipment; ships; motor vehicles and parts; aircraft; electronic and communications equipment; metals; chemicals; petroleum; coal; textiles and clothing.
Government involvement in the British economy is primarily exercised by HM Treasury, headed by the Chancellor of the Exchequer, and the Department for Business, Innovation and Skills. The Bank of England is the UK´s central bank and its Monetary Policy Committee is responsible for setting interest rates. The currency of the UK is the pound sterling, which is ....
2. Определите, верны ли предложения. Если нет, то дайте правильный вариант.
1) In the 18th century Great Britain was a backward country.
2) Great Britain is rich in oil, coal and gas.
3) Trade with the European Union now accounts for 50% of the whole trade.
4) The UK doesn`t import food supplies.
5) The fishing industry in the UK is well developed.
6) More than 50% of Britain`s land is arable.
7) The central bank of Great Britain is the Bank of England.
8) Great Britain is not a member of the European Union.
3. Найдите в тексте английские эквиваленты следующих слов и сочетаний.
Валовый внутренний продукт, паритет покупательной способности, проблемы экономики, обрабатывающая промышленность, производство, центральный банк, канцлер казначейства (министр финансов), совместное предприятие, резервная валюта, частное предпринимательство, размер процентной ставки, Международный Валютный фонд, государственный сектор экономики, потребительские товары, природные ресурсы.
4. Закончите предложения.
1) Great Britain has the 6th-largest …
2) Since the early 1970s, Great Britain´s trade focus …
3) During the 1970s and 80s …
4) By the late 1990s …
5) Agriculture in Great Britain is highly …
6) The economy of Great Britain is based largely on …
7) The currency of the UK is …
5. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту.
1) Does the economy of Great Britain play an important role today?
2) What natural resources is Great Britain rich in?
3) What are the UK`s chief exported goods?
4) What does Great Britain import?
5) What are the largest industries in the manufacturing sector?
6) What is the policy of the government in the sphere of economy?
7) What bodies control the economic sphere in Great Britain?
6. Выберите правильный ответ.
1) If we … good in innovating we will retain customers.
a) are b) were c) be d) will be
2) If Great Britain … new jobs in service-related industries in the 1990s, there wouldn`t have been a shift in the economic base.
a) didn`t create b) doesn`t create c) hadn`t created d) wouldn`t create
3) But for World War I and World War II the position of Great Britain in the world economy …
a) wouldn`t have weakened b) wouldn’t weaken c) won`t weaken d) don`t weaken
4) If more than 25% of the land in Great Britain was arable, the country … the world leader in agriculture.
a) would be b) will be c) were d) be
5) If the government reduces the size of the private sector in the economy, more joint enterprises …
a) will be set up b) are set up c) would be set up d) were set up
7. Переведите высказывания известных людей об экономике в косвенную речь.
1) “Be thrifty, not covetous” George Herbert.
2) “Commerce changes the fate and genius of nations” Thomas Grey.
3) “If all the economists were laid end to end, they would not reach a conclusion”, said George Bernard Shaw.
4) Benjamin Franklin: “No nation was ever ruined by trade.”
5) Jack Kemp: “Every time in this century we´ve lowered the tax rates across the board, on employment, on saving, investment and risk-taking in this economy, revenues went up, not down."
8. Сделайте косвенными данные прямые вопросы. Начинайте со следующих фраз:
Could you tell us, …?
Can you tell us…?
1) Where is the nearest bank?
2) Had she found this job when she moved here?
3) Will she start her new project next week?
4) When will he finish his report on the last tendencies in the world economy?
5) Will he have been teaching English for twenty years when he retires?
6) Why did she quit her job last summer?
7) What time will Helen be meeting the boss?
8) Did Theodore call you yesterday to reschedule his appointment?
|1 мес||3 мес||12 мес|
В целях исключения необоснованных и заведомо ложных сообщений о фактах нарушения указанных прав, администрация будет отказывать в предоставлении услуг на торговой площадке Plati, только после получения от Вас письменных заявлений о нарушении с приложением копий документов, подтверждающих ваши авторские права или права собственности, по адресу: 123007, г. Москва, Малый Калужский пер. д.4, стр.3, Адвокатский кабинет «АКАР №380».
В целях оперативного реагирования на нарушения Ваших прав и необходимости блокировки действий недобросовестных продавцов, Plati просит Вас направить заверенную телеграмму, которая будет являться основанием для блокировки действий продавца, указанная телеграмма должна содержать указание: вида нарушенных прав, подтверждения ваших прав и ваши контактные данные (организиционно-правовую форму лица, Ф.И.О.). Блокировка будет снята по истечение 15 дней, в случае непредставления Вами в Адвокатский кабинет письменных документов подтверждающих ваши авторские права или права собственности.