КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА № 2
1. Соотнесите значения слов и выражений, данных в левой колонке, с их английскими эквивалентами, данными в правой колонке
1) legislative branch а) Член Верховного Суда
2) civil and criminal cases b) окружной суд
3) Chief Justice с) законодательная власть
4) Associate Justice d) беспартийная система
5) a right of voting е) гражданин государства
6) district court f) гражданские и уголовные дела
7) a resident of the state д) правительство
8) rights and freedoms h) главный судья
9) nonpartisan system i) права и свободы
10) governorship j) право голосовать
2. Прочитайте текст Mayor-council и заполните пропуски текста словами и выражениями, данными в рамке.
city departments; mayor, the power of veto; government; council; state; executive branch; legislative branch; represents; council seats
This is the oldest form of city (1) ... in the United States and, until the beginning of the 20th century, was used by nearly all American cities. Its structure is similar to that of the (2) ... and national governments, with an elected mayor as chief of the (3) ... and an elected council that (4) ... the various neighborhoods forming the (5). The (6) ... appoints heads of city departments and other officials, sometimes with the approval of the (7) ... He or she has (8) ... over ordinances — the laws of the city — and frequently is responsible for preparing the city´s budget. The council passes city ordinances, sets the tax rate on property, and apportions money among the various (9) ... As cities have grown, (10) ... have usually come to represent more than a single neighborhood.
3. Прочитайте раздел Грамматического справочника Модальные глаголы и их эквиваленты и выполните следующее задание:
а) заполните пропуски подходящими по смыслу модальными глаголами. Используйте глаголы: can, may, must, have to, should, ought to, need
1) You ... to respect his position and old age. 2) Senate approval, interpret laws and ... overturn laws they deem unconstitutional. 3) Congress ... override a veto, but to do so two-thirds of the Members of Congress ... vote against the President. 4) In fact, one does not ... to be a member of a political party to run in any election at any level of government. 5) The President´s policies ... be approved by the House of Representatives and the Senate. 6) The President ... do his job according to the Constitution or he be impeached. 7) The Senate committee has a special role to play because the Senate ... approve all treaties and all nominations to key foreign policy postings. 8) The problem ... be discussed again.
4. Переделайте предложения:
a) из активного залога в пассивный
1) The Constitution limits the federal government to specific powers.
2) The executive branch of the government will put this country´s law into effect.
3) The President appointed the justices but the Senate didn´t approve them.
4) In addition to the Supreme Court, Congress has established 11 federal courts of appeal and, below them, 91 federal district courts.
5) By the middle of the century the USA had achieved universal white adult male suffrage.
b) из пассивного залога в активный
1) Americans are seldom impressed my government officials.
5. Прочитайте предложения и вставьте частицу to где это необходимо
1) You needn´t ... ask for permission. 2) The President ought not ... show his feelings. 3) You had better ... make a note of it. 4) I heard the authorities of the constituent entitles of Russia ... have the right to pass laws independently from the federal government. 5) I let ... appoint him the ambassador in this country.