1. Прочтите и переведите текст.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland comprises the Islands of Great Britain, the north-eastern part of the Island of Ireland (the greater part of this island is the Republic of Ireland) and a number of islands.
Great Britain consists of England, Wales and Scotland. People living in Britain speak English. England is the biggest part of Great Britain. It is bigger than Scotland and Wales. The climate of Great Britain is mild, win-ters are little colder here, but summers are warmer.
Great Britain is the oldest industrial country, such industries as ma-chinebuilding, automobile industry, television, aircraft, textile, iron and steel are developed there.
The industries are concentrated mainly in the central part of the coun-try. Birmingham is the largest manufacturing centre and the second largest city in Great Britain. London is the capital and the largest city in Great Britain.
2. Ответьте на вопросы.
1. What does the United Kingdom of Great Britain comprise?
2. What language do people speak in Britain?
3. What is the climate like in Great Britain?
4. What industries are developed in Great Britain?
5. What is the largest manufacturing centre in Great Britain?
3. Раскройте скобки, употребив глагол-сказуемое в соответ-ствующем времени. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. The central part of Great Britain (to be called) “Black country” be-cause many industries are concentrated there.
2. Motor cars, aircrafts, cotton and woolen fabrics (to be produced) in Great Britain now.
4. Раскройте скобки и поставьте глаголы в Present или в Past Perfect Tense, обращая внимание на указатели времени. Переве-дите предложения на русский язык.
1. The students (to have finished) their translation of the text when the teacher left the room.
2. I (to have visited) London this year.
3. He just (to have returned) from England and can tell you many in-teresting things.
5. Поставьте вопросы к выделенным словам.
1. England in the biggest part of Great Britain.
2. Industries are concentrated in the central part of Great Britain.
3. Great Britain exports motor-cars, aircrafts, cotton and woolen fab-rics.
6. Напишите три формы неправильных глаголов.
to speak, to become, to bring, to build, to forget, to hear, to know, to leave, to understand, to show.
7. Заполните пропуски предлогами.
1. Great Britain is the oldest industrial country … the world.
2. The industries are concentrated … the central part … the country.
3. English people are fond … their traditions.