КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА №2.
1. Прочитайте текст, переведите и письменно ответьте по-английски на вопросы, следующие за текстом.
Songs, poems and proverbs about friendship are common and can be found in all languages. It is so because friendship has a great value in our life. It sometimes happens that mothers are the greatest friend of their daughters and grandparents are the best friends of their grandchildren. It is good to have a friend in the family.
“A friend in need is a friend indeed” — according to this old saying a good friend should always help us in difficulties, cheer us up and raise our spirits when we are down, troubled or when nothing is going right. That is what friends are for… However, experience shows that good friendship is based on a delicate balance. That is why friendship must be cherished to become stronger and stronger, it must be “planted like a seed”.
The best of friends totally love and support and trust each other, and bare to each other the secrets of their souls, and run – no questions asked – to help each other, and tell harsh truths to each other when they must be told.
But to define friendship only in that way would reveal a narrow point of view, for friendships may serve many different functions, meet different needs and embrace different types of relations. These relations may range from friendship of two people who become soul sisters or brothers to the relations between people who are simply casual playmates. Thus, it is possible to single out five specific varieties of friendship:
1. Convenience friends. These are people whose paths cross with ours all the time: our next-door neighbour, the children of our parent’s closest friends and so on. Convenience friends are convenient indeed. They lend us their cups and chairs for a party. They may look after neighbour’s kids when they are ill. But we don’t come too close with convenience friends or tell them too much, we keep emotional distance.
2. Special-interest friends. These friendships are not intimate, they are based on some interest jointly shared. We may have an office friend, or a tennis friend, or a friend from some club.
3. Historical friends. We all have a friend who knew us since childhood. The years have gone by and now we go separate ways and have little in common, but we´re still an important part of each other´s past. 3. .
4. Crossroads friends. These friends like historical friends are important to us because of our past - we shared this type of friendship at some very important, crucial period of our life. A time, perhaps, when we lived in the same room at college or started working at the same job together.
5. Intimate friends – these are pretty good friends and very good friends indeed. They comfort our sorrows and celebrate our joys.
1. Why are songs, poems and proverbs about friendship so numerous in all languages?
2. Can relatives be good friends?
3. What are good friendships based on?
4. What is characteristic of the relations between best friends?
5. What kind of relations do friendships include?
6. What people are called soul sisters and soul brothers?
7. What makes convenience friends be convenience indeed?
8. What kind of friendship may start if we have the same interests?
2. Найдите в тексте и переведите на русский язык предложения, в которых употреблены модальные глаголы и их эквиваленты.
3. Найдите в тексте и переведите на русский язык предложения, в которых употреблены неопределенные местоимения some, any, no, every и их производные.
4. Выпишите из текста все глаголы и образуйте от них причастия настоящего и прошедшего времени; переведите их на русский язык.
5. Найдите в тексте и переведите на русский язык предложения, в которых употреблено причастие настоящего времени.