I. Прочитайте, перепишите и переведите на русский язык следующие предложения. Определите по грамматическим признакам, какой частью речи являются слова, оформленные окончанием –S и какую функцию это окончание выполняет, т. e.служит ли оно:
1. показателем 3-го лица единственного числа глагола в Present Indefinite;
2. признаком множественного числа имени существительного;
3. показателем притяжательного падежа имени существительного.
(См. образец выполнения 1 в варианте 1)
1. The total area of the United Kingdom is 242000 square kilometers.
2. The USA borders on Canada in the north and on Mexico in the South.
3. The Nelson’s Column stands in the middle of Trafalgar Square.
4. It’s pleasant to read Agatha Christie’s books in the original.
5. Everyone knows that Sochi is one of the cities situated on the Black Sea coast.
II. Прочитайте, перепишите следующие предложения и переведите их, обращая внимание на особенности перевода на русский язык оборота there + be.
1. There were many people in the shops yesterday.
2. There are various forms of money in the modern economy.
3. There have recently been offered nationwide programmes of evironmental protection.
III.Прочитайте, перепишите и переведите данные предложения, содержащие разные формы сравнения.
1. It was the most boring film I have ever seen.
2. I feel much better today than I did last week.
3. Of the three books, this one is the most interesting.
4. The smaller the garden is, the easier it is to look after it.
5. These shoes cost as much as mine.
IV. Перепишите и переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на перевод
неопределенных и отрицательных местоимений.
1. I got the book without any difficulty.
2. I don’t know about it, ask somebody else.
3. There is no uniform school organization or curriculum in the USA.
V. Прочитайте, перепишите следующие предложения, подчеркните в них глагол-сказуемое и определите его видовременную форму, указав его инфинитив. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
(См. образец выполнения 2 в варианте 1)
1. Now she is having difficulty in putting facts in order.
2. It has been raining since early morning.
3. What will you be doing at 4.30 tomorrow afternoon?
4. By two o’clock the student will have finished the translation of the text.
5. By the 16th century a new economic system had replaced feudalism.
VI. Прочитайте и письменно переведите следующий текст.
History books record that the first film with sound was The Jazz Singer in 1927. But sound films, or "talkies", did not suddenly appear after years of silent screenings. From the earliest public performances in 1896, films were accompanied by music and sound effects. These were produced by a single pianist, a small band, or a full-scale orchestra; large movie theaters could buy sound-effects machines. Research into sound that was reproduced at exactly the same time as the pictures - called "synchronized sound" - began soon after the very first films were shown. With synchronized sound, characters on the movie screen could sing and speak. As early as 1896, the newly invented gramophone, which played a large disc carrying music and dialogue, was used as a sound system. The biggest disadvantage was that the sound and pictures could become unsynchronized if, for example, the gramophone needle jumped or if the speed of the projector changed. This system was only effective for a single song or dialogue sequence.
In the "sound-on-film" system, sounds were recorded as a series of marks on celluloid which could be read by an optical sensor. These signals would be placed on the film alongside the image, guaranteeing synchronization. Short feature films were produced in this way as early as 1922. This system eventually brought us "talking pictures".