Задание 1. Переведите. Определите по грамматическим признакам, какой часть речи являются слова, оформленные окончанием –s и какую функцию это окончание выполняет, т.е. служит ли оно:
1) показателем 3-его лица ед. числа глагола в Present Simple;
2) признаком множественного числа имени существительного;
3) показателем притяжательного падежа имени существительного в ед. или мн. числе.
1. Food imports, automobiles exports, investments abroad contribute to each country`s economic activity.
2. This factory produces the best wool thread.
3. When a company goes bankrupt, the owners can never be required to pay its unpaid bills.
Упражнение 2. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на особенности перевода определений, выраженных именем существительным.
1. The collection of ethnography department shows the culture, traditions, tools and ritual objects of primitive societies.
2. Cricket is often played between school, college or club teams.
3. To stabilize the situation the central government sent army units to the areas of conflicts but it was not the way to solve problems.
Упражнение 3. Переведите предложения, и укажите степени сравнения.
Образец: Lomonosov founded the first Russian University in Moscow. (Ломоносов основал первый русский университет в Москве.)
Founded – Past indefinite Active от стандартного глагола to found.
1. The 22-nd of December is the shortest day of the year.
2. The more l listened to him, the more l believed his words.
3. It was the worst day of my life.
1. Have you heard anything about our boss`s further plans?
2. Nobody was at the office: working hours were already over and we could not find anyone to help us with this matter.
3. Our managing director had some problems at the Customs.
Упражнение 5. Перевести. Определить в предложениях видоизмененные формы глаголов и укажите их инфинитив
1. People always wanted to have some nature in the city, to come to the park and to have fresh air.
2. The price of shares will go up in three days.
3. There are special agencies in this district.
Упражнение 6. Перевести все абзацы.
1. No garden lover can fail to be fascinate by the gardens of Japan, so different from anything in the European tradition.
2. The Japanese gardening ideal is not an arrangement of flowers and plants, formal or informal, but the creation of a miniature landscape in which the designer`s view of nature is expressed in a small scale.
3. Art is hidden by art. Trees and bushes, rocks and ponds, little singing streams winding round tiny islands refresh the spirit with their gentle naturalness but they have all been carefully positioned by the landscape garden designer.
4. Often a tea pavilion is a graceful scene, and here the ancient Japanese tea ceremony may still be held. Traditionally, to view the moon from a tea pavilion will bring you a sense of peace and well –being or even the ability to write poetry.
5. Japanese gardens are full of ancient tradition and symbolic meaning, and many date back as AD 600. Streams run from east to west because east is the source of purity and west of impurity. Turtles symbolize long life, so a turtle – shaped rock is always popular. A pine tree twisted in the shape of a crane, a bird that mates for life represents good luck and lasting companionship. The golden chrysanthemum, sacred symbol of the Imperial family, is cultivated in many shades and forms.