КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА 2
1. Выберите соответствующее местоимение. Перепишите и переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. When you did something foolish you feel (himself; itself; yourself) embarrassing.
2. Since Marilyn and Richard got married, (they, our, it) have lived with Richard’s parents.
3. I’ve seen pictures of (you, him, her). He has brown hair.
4. This has been a great learning experience for (I, we, us).
2. Выберите нужный предлог with, in, from, at, off. Перепишите и переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Take the kettle ... the stove.
2. The album contains photographs of him ... the family.
3. Hand me two eggs ... the refrigerator and I’ll make you two fried eggs.
4. Until today, I was never really interested ... medicine.
5. Make yourself... home.
3. Закончите разделительные вопросы и перепишите их.
1. She doesn’t have his phone number,...?
2. Eating foods with protein is necessary for a healthy diet, ... ?
3. My father wanted me to study engineering,...?
4. Paul Smith will be back for his six o’clock appointment with Mr. Needham,...?
5. A real-estate agent has sold us a house,...?
4. Поставьте предложения с модальными глаголами в прошедшее или будущее время, используя слова, данные в Скобках. Перепишите и переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. You must wear old clothes when cleaning the car (yesterday).
2. My neighbours can go away on holiday (last summer).
3. I must have dinner in a restaurant with some friends (tomorrow night).
5. Перепишите и письменно переведите текст.
CARS: PASSION OR PROBLEM
For some people, the car is a convenient form of transportation. But for others, the car is an exciting hobby. Some people spend their lives collecting valuable cars. Others drive them in races. For many people cars are more than transportation: they are a source of passion and pleasure. Yet cars can also be a source of many problems.
In 1903, Henry Ford began selling Model T car for $825. His company, Ford Motors, was the first to produce cars in large numbers. This made the car available to large numbers of people and helped them to travel long distances quickly and easily. The car has brought people much closer to places of work, study, and entertainment. Many people also work in car-related industries: fixing cars1, washing cars, advertising cars, and selling car products such as stereos and cellular phones2.
Most Americans buy a new car every five or six years. This means that one American may own a dozen cars in a lifetime. In fact, there are more cars than people in the United States. In New York City, 2.5 million cars move in and out of the city each day. In this traffic, the average speed is sometimes 8.1 miles per hour.
This speed could easily be reached by riding a horse instead of driving a car. But New Yorkers continue to drive, just as people do in California, where freeways3 are often crowded4. Many people are unhappy with car traffic and pollution, as well as with the use of beautiful land for building new roads.
Cars are important to nearly everyone, including engineers, business people, environmentalists5, and even poets. Poet Curt Brown believes that cars are part of our passion for new places and new experiences. According to Brown, this “very, very comfortable flying chair” will continue to bring us travel and adventure, no matter how it changes the future.
Пояснения к тексту
1) fixing cars — ремонт автомобилей;
2) a cellular phone — сотовый телефон;
3) a freeway - автострада;
4) crowded - перегружены;
5) an environmentalist—эколог.
6. Закончите предложение, выбрав соответствующий вариант окончания.
For many people, cars are more than transportation; ...
a) many people also work in car industries.
b) they are a source of passion and pleasure.
c) many people are unhappy with car traffic and pollution.