КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА № 2
I. Прочтите и письменно переведите следующие группы слов одного корня, обращая внимание на способы образования различных частей речи.
to apply – appliance – application – applying – applied
to combust – combustible – combustion – combusting – combusted
to extend – extendable – extension – extending – extended
to exhaust – exhauster – exhaustion – exhaustive – exhausting – exhausted
II. При чтении текста обратите внимание на перевод следующих слов
и словосочетаний. Перепишите и письменно переведите текст на русский язык.
Appliances for Fire Brigades
Fire brigades are equipped with some or all of the following appliances:
Self-Propelled Pumps consist of a vehicle carrying a fire pump that is driven either by a “power take-off” from the engine of the vehicle or by a separate internal combustion engine. The pump is usually a centrifugal pump, capable of delivering 500-1000 gallons per minute, but it may be a reciprocating one.
Turntable Ladders are made of steel and consist of a main ladder within which three or more extension ladders are raised by steel cables.
Water Tenders are vehicles carrying a tank of water, often of 400-500 gallons capacity. They are valuable in country areas where water supplies are limited.
Other appliances include foam tenders, hoses, pipe-carriers, salvage tenders, radio vans, control units, communication units and tenders which carry special devices such as searchlights, smoke exhausters and cutting sets, not provided on other appliances.
III. Подберите пары синонимов.
include able to
device be composed of
valuable fire engine
consist of ordinary
IV. Подберите пары антонимов.
V. Ответьте на следующие вопросы, выбрав из текста необходимую информацию.
1. What appliances are fire brigades usually equipped with?
2. What does a self-propelled pump carry?
3. What is a fire pump driven by? What kind of pump is it?
4. What material is a turntable ladder made of and what is its construction?
5. What do water tenders carry and in what areas are they valuable?
6. What is water tenders’ capacity?
7. What devices are provided on tenders?
VI. Заполните пропуски соответствующей информацией, используя данную ниже лексику. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
provided; cables; capable; valuable; extension; a “power take-off”.
1. The main ladder of a turntable ladder consists of three or more ... ladders.
2. A fire pump is driven by ... from the engine of the vehicle.
3. A pump is ... to deliver 500-1000 gallons per minute.
4. Water tenders are ... in areas with limited water supplies.
5. Some appliances carry special devices which are not ... on every appliance.
6. .... which raise extension ladders are made of steel.