КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА 1
1. Поставьте глаголы, данные в скобках, во времена групп Simple (Indefinite) или Continuous. Перепишите и переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. I usually (leave) work before 8 o’clock.
2. John (paint) the garage at the moment.
3. My mum (watch TV) when I came home.
4. He (work) as an engineer.
2. Поставьте глаголы, данные в скобках, во времена групп Perfect или Perfect Continuous. Перепишите и переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Some time ago Jill’s hair was long but now it is short. She (cut) it.
2. Our mother (cook) the dinner before we all returned.
3. We were late for the airport. The plane (start) two minutes before we came.
4. Are you still listening to music? You (listen) to it since I left for work in the morning.
3. Перепишите и переведите предложения на русский язык. Выпишите из каждого глагол-сказуемое и определите его видовременную форму. Напишите форму инфинитива глагола.
1. All historical places of London are in the West End.
2. I have not seen Bill for a long time.
3. Can you hear a bird singing?
4. Many different languages are spoken in Europe.
5. She has been studying in the library for hours.
6. There were so many cars in the street that we could not find a parking space.
4. Перепишите и переведите предложения на русский язык. Подчеркните модальные глаголы.
1. You must wear a helmet when you ride a motorcycle.
2. 2.1 had to go to the bank yesterday to get some money.
3. She got this job because she can speak five languages.
4. There were no buses yesterday evening. We had to walk home.
5. Перепишите и письменно переведите текст.
Invention1 (device or process) is creation2 of new devices, objects, ideas, or procedures useful in accomplishing human objectives. The process of invention is invariably preceded by one or more discoveries that help the inventor solve the problem at hand.Д discovery may be accidental, such as the discovery of X- rays by Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen while he was experimenting with cathode rays, or induced, such as the invention of the lightning rod by Benjamin Franklin after he proved that lightning is an electrical phenomenon.
Early inventors were usually isolated and unable to support4 themselves through their inventions. In some cases, although two individuals working independently achieved the same innovation simultaneously, only one was recognized for the discovery. For example, the American inventors Elisha Gray and Alexander Graham Bell applied for a patent on the telephone on the same day. Credit for the discovery of the calculus was fought for bitterly by the English scientist and mathematician Sir Isaac Newton and the German philosopher and mathematician Gottfried Wilhelm Leibniz.
Today most modem inventions and discoveries take place in large research5 organizations supported by universities, government agencies, private industries, or privately endowed foundations. Because of this, ascribing any single invention to a specific person has become difficult.
Пояснения к тексту
1) an invention - изобретение;
2) creation - создание;
3) a discovery - открытие;
4) to support - поддерживать;
5) research — исследование.
6. Перепишите вопросы к тексту и письменно ответьте на них.
1. What is invention?
2. Can the discovery be accidental?
3. Early inventors were not usually isolated and unable to support them-selves through their inventions, were they?
4. Where do most modem inventions and discoveries take place?
5. Why has ascribing any single invention to a specific person become difficult?