Why do people buy what they buy?
To understand better why consumers buy as they do, many marketers turn to behavioral sciences for help.
Specific consumer behaviors vary a great for different products and from one taget market to the next. In today’s global markets, the variations are countless. That makes it impractical to try to catalog all the detailed publications for every different market situation. For example, how and why a given consumer buys a specific brand of shampoo may be very different from how that same consumer buys motor oil; and different consumers in different parts of the world may have very different reactions to the same product. But there are general behavioral principles – frameworks – that marketing managers can apply to learn more about their specific target markets.
Most economists assume that consumers are economic men – people who know all the facts and logically compare choices in terms of cost and value received to get the greatest satisfaction from spending their time and money. A logical extension of the economic-man theory led us to look at consumer spending patterns. This approach is valuable because consumers must at least have income to buy everything they want. So most consumers don’t have enough income to buy everything they want. So most consumers want their money to stretch are:.....
Упражнения к тексту
1. Write true (T) or false (F) next to the statements below. If the sentence is not right – correct it:
1. To better understand why consumers buy as they do, many marketers turn to behavioral sciences for help.
2. It is rather practical to try to catalog all the detailed possibilities for every different market situation.
3. Economic men are people who know all facts and logically compare choices in terms of cost and value received to get the greatest satisfaction from spending their time and money.
4. A product that one person sees as a good value is of no interest to someone else.
5. Marketing managers must not be alert to new ways to appeal to economic needs – if the customers need to buy something, they will do it anyway.
2. Answer the following questions:
a) according to the text
1. What behavioral sciences do you know?
2. Why is it impossible to catalog all consumer behaviors?
3. Who are economic men?
4. What is the meaning of the economic-man theory? What guides most consumers behavior?
5. What are major economic needs?
b) give your own idea
6. How do companies try to attract customers?
7. What do you think can affect a person’s buying behavior?
8. Do you agree that psychological variables, social influences, and purchase situation all affect a person’s buying behavior?
9. What influences your personal purchase decisions?
10. What is more important for you: price or quality?
3. Fill the blanks with the word combinations from the table:
1.Speaking about ____________you should always remember about the income. 2. Today it isn’t possible and practical to _____________the consumers behavior. 3. The first step in starting the production of a new product is to identify your______________. 4. The _______________guide most consumers behavior. 5. The ____________ of the product influences the purchase decision.
target market, economic needs, spending patterns, ‘economic value’, catalog
4. Paraphrase the underlined words using words from the box:
1.This way of solving the problem is the most efficient. 2. The are uncountable possibilities for consumers to satisfy their needs. 3. To be a good shop-assistant you should try to understand consumers actions. 4. Very often when I come to the shop my feelings