I. Перепишите следующие предложения, подчеркните в каждом из них глагол-сказуемое и определите его видовременную форму и залог. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Astronomers have measured the exact length of the day.
2. Astronomers find that the day is increasing by 0.002 seconds each century.
3. As a rule one great discovery is generally followed by numerous others.
4. We were shown a new alloy, which will be used, in modern technology.
II. Перепишите следующие предложения, подчеркните Participle I и Participle II и установите функции каждого из них, т. е. укажите, является ли оно определением, обстоятельством или частью глагола-сказуемого. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Matter consists of one or a number of basic elements occurring in nature.
2. One can use several modern devices while detecting and measuring radioactivity.
3. When heated to a certain temperature this alloy increases in volume.
4. This cloud chamber (камера Вильсона) is one of the devices used to detect the presence of radioactivity.
III. Перепишите следующие предложения, подчеркните в каждом из них модальный глагол или его эквиваленты. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. A computer can solve complicated problems many times faster than a mathematician.
2. A new type of plastics had to be obtained for space technology.
3. To measure the vast distances between different planets scientists have to use special instruments.
4. The nuclear-rocket engine should be thermally efficient.
IV. Перепишите и письменно переведите текст.
Пояснения к тексту:
1. Powell - Пауэлл
2. particle physics - физика элементарных частиц
3. the Pugwush Conferences - Пагуошские конференции
4. were determined - были полны решимости
5. won a scholarship - получил (по конкурсу) стипендию
6. position - должность
7. sub-nuclear particle - субъядерная частица.
С. F. POWELL (1903-1969)
Powel was a prominent English scientist noted for his techniques and dis-coveries in particle physics. He was also deeply concerned with problems relat-ing to the social responsibility of scientists. Powell was a leader in the World Federation of Scientific Workers in the 1950’s and was a founder of the Pug- wish Conferences on Science and World Affairs in 1957. As a public man and in his published articles Powell stressed the perils of destructive weapons and the need for international cooperation.
Powell was born in December 1903 in England. His parents were poor and they were determined to give their children a good education to increase their opportunities for a better life. In 1921 Powell won a scholarship of one of the colleges at Cambridge which he graduated in 1925 with first-class honors in science. He started his scientific career at the Cavendish laboratory headed by Ernest Rutherford. After gaining his scientific degree at Cambridge in 1928 Powell accepted a position at the Physics laboratory in the University of Bristol. Powell spent the rest of his career there advancing to professor in 1948 and director of the laboratory in 1964.
In 1947 Powell’s Bristol group identified a new particle in the cosmic ra-diation. Powell continued to develop and apply the photographic method of Bristol. His laboratory became the source of new experimental discoveries in meson physics and an international training center for physicists of many countries. In 1950 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for his development of the photographic method and his meson discoveries.
V. Письменно ответьте на вопросы.
1. What was Powel noted for?
2. What problems was he concerned with?
3. What did he stress in his published articles?
4. Whose laboratory became the source of new experimental discoveries?
5. What was Powel awarded the Noble Prize for?