Вариант № 5
I. Определите в следующих предложениях форму и функцию герундия; переведите предложении на русский язык.
1. There are several ways of handling this difficulty. 2. This is a new device for measuring blood pressure. 3. A discussion on solving this problem was under way. 4. They started working. 5. In the next chapter the actual procedures for reducing the errors as far as possible are discussed. 6. The transfer to a slide for microscopic reading requires careful handling. 7. They were busy packing.
II. Определите функцию и форму причастия и предложении: предложении переведите:
1. Yesterday on television they watched the cosmonauts working in the open outer space.
2. When the chief engineer returned to his room he found me making Ike drawing of the new disks for the separator.
3. People watched the plane circling over the town.
4. The device designed by the group of engineers meets all the requirements. 5. The metric system used in CIS differed from a non-metric system used in the USA.
6. The achieved speed was 130 km p.h.
III. Определите форму н функцию инфинитива в предложении; предложения переведите:
1. The transmission of energy by wave motion is considered to be one of the most important phenomena in nature.
2. The engineers consider plastics to be the most important group of materials.
3. This machine part is supposed to be made of plastics.
4. Television is said to have great advantages and disadvantages.
5 This machinery is supposed to be installed here next month.
6. About a century ago people supposed weightless substance to pass from a hotter body to a colder one.
IV. Перепишите и письменно переведите следующие предложения, обращая во внимание, что инфинитив в функции определении, и особенно объектный и субъектный инфинитивные обороты, большей частью соответствуют придаточным предложениям:
1. We want our buildings tо be not only comfortable but beautiful as well.
2. Lebedev was the first to organise production of synthetic rubber.
3. Plastics are known to resist high temperature very well.
V. Перепишите данные ниже предложения; переведите их, учитывая различия в переводе зависимого и независимого причастных оборотов:
1. There are different sources of energy, the sun being an unlimited source of all its forms.
2. The energy sources of the world decreasing, it is necessary to turn to atomic energy.
3. Having made many tests the engineer obtained a result of great significance.
VI. Перепишите и письменно переведите следующие предложения; подчеркните модальный глагол или его эквивалент.
1. Infrared waves can be stopped by glass.
2. Many possible solutions may be tried and tested before the final and correct solution is reached.
3. I had to wait for a bus for ages.
4. Our plane was to take off 15 minutes ago.
5. Shall we be able to skate there?