1. 1. Supply the correct tense-forms.
1. Richard is a househusband, which means that every day his wife (go) ________ off to work and (leave) _______ him at home to look after their two young children. Although the family (live) _______ in Oxford his wife (work) ________ in London so she (not usually get back) ________ home before 8 pm
Richard (think) _________ the apartment is a good idea. "For the moment I (still enjoy) ________ the change in my lifestyle and I (not need) ________ to get the train to work every day, which is great! I (also learn) ________ lots of new things. For example, I now (understand) _________ how difficult it is to do the housework as well as look after two children.
This afternoon Richard (want) _________ to do some work on the book he (write) ________, but he (not think) _______he can do this. "I (find) ________ it difficult to concentrate. Even when the baby is asleep I often (feel) _________ too tired to write anything.
1.2. Write the verbs in brackets in the Passive Voice.
1. Millions of cars ________ (to export) from Japan every year.
2. The new strategic plan ________ (to develop) a year ago.
3. The details ________ (to discuss) at the meeting that will take place at the end of the month.
4. Lots of goods ________ (to import) to our country every year.
5. The matter _________ (to discuss) at the conference last week.
6. The production of oil ________ (to increase) by 10% next year.
7. The production management _________ (to reorganize) when all the problems are solved.
1.3. Translate the following sentences paying attention to the Complex Object
1. He wanted us to visit the art exhibition.
2. I expect you to tell me everything.
3. I suppose her to be about 50.
4. The teacher does not consider him to be a good student.
5. The engineer expected the work to be done in time.
6. We expect you to show good results.
7. Many people like to watch the sun rise.
8. She saw her son fall.
9. He likes to watch his son play in the garden.
10. The students heard the bell ring.
11. You can not make me believe that all these stories are true.
12. In spite of bad weather the instructor made the sportsmen continue their training.
1. 4. Open the brackets using the Complex Object.
1. Once in the plane he saw (his wife and children waved goodbye to him).
2. Those who stayed outside watched (the plane picked up speed for take-off).
3. It is very pleasant to find (these problems are discussed in your journal).
4. Her parents wanted (that she was married to that person).
5. They observed (he cautiously entered the room).
6. Our manager heard (Mr. Brown promised to deliver the equipment at the time).
7. We saw (as the car drove up to the building of the President).
1.5. Translate the following sentences paying attention to the Complex Subject
1. They are said to know Chinese very well.
2. He is reported to arrive tomorrow.
3. The boat was seen to disappear in the waves.
4. The English delegation is believed to come at the end of the month.
5. He was known to be a capable student.
6. They appeared to be satisfied with the results of the experiment.
7. He proved to be an excellent musician.
8. The water seems to be boiling.
9. I happened to be there at that time.
10. She is said to write a new novel.
11. They are likely to come soon.
12. She seems to be waiting for you.
1.6. Change the following sentences using the Complex Subject.
1. It is known that he is a good worker.
2. It was expected that the members of the committee would come to an agreement.
3. It was reported that our delegation has left London.
4. It seems that he knows French perfectly well.
5. It was expected that the delegates would not participate in today's talks.
6. It is very likely that the prices for these goods will go up again in England.
7. It is unlike