КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА №4
I. Выберите нужное причастие (Participle I or Participle II) из данных в скобках. Предложения перепишите и переведите.
1. Special signals (installing; installed) along the railroads help enginemen drive trains without accidents. 2. It is impossible to stop the train (moving; moved) at such a high speed quickly. 3. About 80 million passengers are (carrying; carried) by the Kuibyshev Railway annually. 4. CAV – is a British firm (producing; produced) diesel engines. 5. The day coach is the type of a passenger car (using; used) most often.
II. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на многофункциональность глаголов to be и to have.
1. The builders had to explode the rock to construct the railway in this district. 2. Wooden ties have been replaced by concrete sleepers on this section of the new line. 3. In the early mornings the traffic is not very heavy but during rush hours it is increased. 4. The traffic regulations are to be observed by both drivers and pedestrians. 5. The city of Crewe is one of the busiest junctions in England; many railway lines pass through it.
III. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление инфинитива (The Infinitive).
1. Japan was the first country to introduce the system of automatic ticket selling. 2. In Hong Kong the new trains carrying passengers to and from the airport are equipped with TV sets to give information on flights, news, tourist information and weather. 3. The aim of using several locomotives in one train is to carry extremely heavy loads. 4. To start the engine in such cold weather was very difficult. 5. The next train to arrive at platform 2 will be the 7:45 to Chicago.
IV. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление инфинитивной конструкции Сложное подлежащее (The Complex Subject).
1. The VL80 Locomotive is known to be designed for hauling trains of up to 4,500 tons on sections with steep gradients at speeds up to 110 km/h. 2. The flood was reported to have caused much damage to the railway track. 3. Engineers suppose a new “night vision system” to enable drivers to see better after dark. 4. The boxes with equipment were said to have been already unloaded. 5. Our present-day life seems to be quite impossible without telephone, radio and television.
V. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на употребление инфинитивной конструкции Сложное дополнение (The Complex Object).
1. The scientists consider their discovery to produce great changes in the field of electronics. 2. They watched the plane go up until it became quite a small spot up in the sky. 3. We saw a man jump off the moving train. 4. The Management of the Railway expects a number of passengers to be increased in summer. 5. Bad weather conditions made pilots switch over to automatic control.
VI. Укажите, чем выражено определение в следующих словосочетаниях и переведите их.
1) a car developing a speed of 140 km/h; 2) the traffic safety rules; 3) the ways of improving passenger traffic; 4) a new device to be installed in the laboratory; 5) the driver fined for over-speeding; 6) the train approaching the station; 7) safe and reliable means of transportation; 8) tickets bought in advance; 9) large-scale construction; 10) new track-laying machines to be used in constructing the line.
VII. Перепишите и переведите предложения, обращая внимание на разные типы условных предложений.
1. If I were you, I would follow his advice. 2. If she would have gone there by air, she had come on time, but there were no tickets. 3. Had the tunnel be bored, the road would have been 30 km shorter. 4. If the weather conditions are favorable, the construction of the bridge will be completed in time. 5. Were electric motors used, cars would not contaminate the air, would be practically noiseless and very easy to control.
VIII. Задайте вопросы к подчёркнутым словам (если подчёркнуто сказуемое, то задайте общий вопрос).