1. Translate the text (Переведите текст):
What is a computer?
A computer is a machine with an intricate network of electronic circuits that operate switches or magnetize tiny metal cores. The switches like the cores, are capable of being in one of two possible states, that is, on or off; magnetized or demagnetized. The machine is capable of storing and manipulating numbers, letters, and characters. The basic idea of a computer is that we can make the machine do what we want by imputing signals that turn certain switches on and turn others off, or that magnetize or do not magnetize the cores.
The basic job of computers is the processing of information. For its reason, computers can be defined as devices which accept information in the form of instruction called a program and characters called data, perform mathematical and/or logical operations on the information, and then supply results of these operations.
The program, or part of it, which tells the computers what to do and the data, which provide the information needed to solve the problem, are kept inside the computer in a place called a place called memory.
Computers are thought to have many remarkable powers. However, most computers, whether large or small have three basic capabilities. First, computers have circuits for performing arithmetic operation, such as: addition, subtraction, division, multiplication and exponentiation. Second, computers have a means of communication with the user. After all, if we could not feed information in and get results back, these machines would not be of much use. However, certain computers (commonly minicomputers and microcomputers) are used to control directly things such as robots, aircraft navigation system, medical instruments, etc.
Some of the most common methods of imputing information are to use terminals, diskettes, disks and magnetic tape.
The computer’s input device(which might be a disk drive or tape drive depending on the medium used in inputting information) reads the information into the computer.
For outputting information, two common devised used are a printer which prints the new information on paper, or a cathode-ray-tube (CRT) display screen which shows the results on a TV-like screen.
Third, computers have circuits which can make decision.
A computer can solve a series of problems and make hundreds, even thousands, of logical decisions without becoming tired or bored.
It can find the solution to a problem in a fraction of the time it takes a human being to do the job.
2. Ask 10 questions on the text (составьте 10 различных вопросов по содержанию текста): General (общий) - 2, Special (специальный) — 3, Alternative (альтернативный) - 3, Disjunctive (разделительный) - 2:
3. Determine the tense form of the verbs and translate the sentences into Russian (определите время глагола-сказуемого и переведите предложения)
1. I have seen then just now.
2. They were often seen together in different places.
3. If you look at this graphic you will see the dependence of these quantities.
4. Переведите предложения на русский язык, принимая во внимание место предлога при бессоюзном подчинении:
1. The book you are looking for is in the book-case.
2. The nice girl you have just met with is my cousin.
3. The man the decision of your question depends on is our dean.
5. Translate the sentences into Russian. Mind the difference in the translation of the Objective Infinitive Construction and the Subjective Infinitive Construction (переведите предложения на русский язык, учитывая разницу в переводе инфинитивных конструкций):
1. I suppose her to miss lessons without any reason.
2. I feel you have a headache.
3. Pain is considered to be the reaction of an organism to some illness.
4. This electronic device is said to be the best of all in home facilities.
6. Translate the sentences into Russian (переведите предложения на русский язык):
1. If I had a country house, I’d spend summer in