Задание 1. Определите в следующих предложениях видовременные формы глаголов и укажите их инфинитив; переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. I get the train to work every day and the fare is quite expensive.
2. Captain Cook discovered Australia on a voyage to the Pacific.
3. I have been writing this for hours and it’s still not right.
4. I think I’m going to buy the new Racetrack CD.
5. I’m thinking of getting Dad a CD for his birthday.
6. He’s only just got home.
7. Have you ever been to Ipswich before?
8. Dan is sleeping in the living room while we redecorate his bedroom.
9. Unfortunately Simon doesn’t get a day off very often.
10. At ten past ten tomorrow, I will be taking my science exam.
Задание 2. Поставьте сказуемое придаточного предложения в нужную форму, учитывая правила согласования времен.
1. Stewer said, he (not to want) any dessert as he was full.
2. When I called Susie said she (to give) the dog a bath, so she asked me to phone back in half an hour.
3. Marcus said he (to try) to find a flat for ages before he finally found one he liked.
4. Richard said he and Patrica (to be going to) invite her parents for the weekend, but I don’t know if they went or not.
5. Charlotte said last night that she really (to love) me, even if she doesn’t always show it.
6. Ollie said to Linda that he (to ask) me to be his best man on Monday, but in fact he asked Grant.
7. Pete told Francis he (bring up) by his grandparents, but in fact he hadn’t at all.
8. Fred asked Gloria whether she (to love) him or not.
9. Andrian wondered whether Simon (to come) to the party the following night.
10. She hoped she (to see) him again.
Задание 3. Преобразуйте предложения из активного залога в пассивный.
1. My friend helped me with the translation.
2. They did the job well.
3. The teacher is reading a tale to the children.
4. The secretary has brought the documents.
5. The doctor has examined the patient.
6. They chose him to play the leading role in the school play.
7. I’m sleeping downstairs because my parents are painting my bedroom.
8. They fired my Dad from the job, it was a real shock.
9. Columbus discovered America.
10. Did your parents pay for the ticket at the concert?
Задание 4. Образуйте прилагательные от следующих слов.
Glamour, beauty, glory, understand, flourish, consciousness, England, vice, spices,
Задание 5. Прочитайте и письменно переведите текст.
THE SPIRIT OF AN ORGANIZATION
Two sayings sum up the «spirit of an organization». One is the inscription on Andrew Carnegie’s tombstone: Here lies a man who knew how to enlist in his service better men than himself. The other is the slogan of the drive to find jobs for the physically handicapped: «It’s the abilities, not the disabilities, that count».
Management by objective tells a manager what he ought to do. The proper organization of his job enables him to do it, but it is the spirit of the organization that determines whether he will do it or not. It’s the spirit that motivates, that calls upon a man’s reserves of dedication and effort, that decides whether he will give his best or do just enough to get by.
It is the purpose of an organization to «make common men do uncommon things» said Lord Beveridge. No organization can depend on genius; the supply is always scarce and always unpredictable. But it is the test of an organization that it makes ordinary human beings perform better than they are capable of, that it brings out whatever strength there is in its members an uses it to make all other members perform better. It is the test of an organization that it neutralizes the weaknesses of its members.
(Adapted from Peter Drucker «The Practice of Management»).
Задание 6. Ответьте на следующие вопросы к тексту.
1. What is the spirit of an organization?
2. What is the purpose of an organization?