КОНТРОЛЬНАЯ РАБОТА №1
1. Определите по грамматическим признакам, какой частью речи являются слова, оформленные окончанием –s и какую функцию это окончание выполняет, т. е. служит ли оно:
а) показателем 3 л. ед. ч. глагола в настоящем простом времени;
б) признаком множественного числа существительного;
в) показателем притяжательного падежа имени существительного.
1. The bank charges a fixed rate for each transaction.
2. This product meets the requirements of all our customers.
3. The company’s assets are enormous.
4. After a short talk the two sides sign the contract.
5. The Customer’s delegation is coming to Moscow for a five-day visit.
6. Economists’ recommendations may be of high value to governments but governments do not always rely on them.
7. The optimal level of government intervention remains a problem which is of interest to economists.
2. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на степени сравнения прилагательных и наречий:
1. Taxes on business premises are higher than those on private premises.
2. He is the director of the biggest office.
3. The most important defense against speculation is the Forward Exchange Contract – a legally binding contract between the bank and its customer.
4. The more you study the better you know the subject.
3. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на неопределенные и отрицательные местоимения:
1. Does he know anything about this firm?
2. Anybody knows this company.
3. There may be some new magazines on this subject in our library.
4. It was clear that something had happened.
4. Определите в каждом предложении видовременную форму и залог гла¬гола-сказуемого. Переведите предложения.
1. The prices will be settled by both parties.
2. The company has made big losses this year.
3. By 6 o’clock yesterday I had made several appointments with foreign businessmen; had books seats on a plane to Rome for our specialists and had discussed the programme of the Customer’s stay in Moscow with the President.
4. The President of the firm will be at the talks tomorrow.
5. Does he often go abroad?
6. Mr. Brown’s office is on the fourth floor. I’ll tell him you’re coming.
7. А lot of books are translated from English unto Russian every year.
5. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на значение модальных глаголов и их заместителей:
1. Managers have to decide what to produce, how it should be produced, and for whom.
2. We won’t be able to see our Customers next week.
3. May I leave the office earlier?
4. The only way they could restore the balance was to get a record of their deposits and withdrawals from the bank.
5. He had to overcome a lot of difficulties to find the necessary materials, equipment, the place where he could work at his model.
6. We are to inspect this plant.
7. Government regulations should be in the interests of society.
6. Переведите текст:
Demand and Supply
Demand is the quantity of a good that buyers wish to buy at each price1. Other things equal2, at low prices the demanded quantity is higher.
Supply is the quantity of a good that sellers wish to sell at each price. Oth¬er things equal, when prices are high, the supplied quantity is high as well.
The market is in equilibrium when the price regulates the quantity supplied by producers and the quantity demanded by consumers. When prices are not so high as the equilibrium price, there is excess demand (shortage) raising the price. At prices above the equilibrium price, there is excess supply (surplus) reducing the price.
There are some factors influencing demand for a good, such as the prices of other goods, consumer incomes and some others.
An increase in the price of a substitute good (or a decrease in the price of a complement good) will at the same time raise the demanded quantity.
As consumer income is increased, demand for a normal good will also increase but demand for an inferior good will decrease. A normal good is a good for whi