Вариант № 1.
(Выполняется студентами, фамилии которых начинаются
с букв А – Н).
Lexis and grammar key points
1.1. (5 x 1 points) Phonetics. Choose the words in which EA has the same pronunciation as in TEAM. Tick (√) the correct variant(s) in the boxes.
1: to read
1.2. (5 x 1 points) Lexis. Complete the sentences putting in phrasal verbs according to the meaning. Write your answers (figures 1 – 6) in the boxes.
1: Sorry I’m late. The car a: took off
2: … ! There is a car coming b: get up
3: It was my first flight. I was nervous as the plane c: get on
4: I was very tired this morning. I couldn’t d: look out
5: How was the exam? How did you … ? e: broke down
6: My French isn’t very good but it’s enough to
1.3. (4 x 1 points) Choose the best way to say these numbers. (Sometimes more than one way is possible.) Write your answers (letters A, B, C, D) in the boxes.
1.4. (5 x 2 points) Replace each word or phrase underlined with a word or phrase from the list which has the opposite meaning. Write your answers in the boxes.
cash generous profit save well off expensive poverty purchase take out worthless
1. I was surprised by how mean Charles was.
2. Janet says that she is very hard up at the moment.
3. Last year their business made a huge loss.
4. I´d like to pay in £100 please.
5. That part of Spain always seems very cheap to me.
1.5. (4 x 2 points) Match the words with the appropriate definitions. (There are extra words.) Write your answers in the boxes.
equation, bookkeeper, posting, debit, book of accounts,
single-entry system, revenues, double-entry system
1. The ledger
2. Assets + expenses = liabilities + equity + revenue
3. A change in account
4. Money that a business or organization receives over a period of time
1.6. (5 x 2 points) Match the words with the appropriate definitions. (There are extra words.) Write your answers in the boxes.
managerial accounting, tax accounting, financial accounting, SEC, employ, audit, white-collar worker, FBI,
government accountants, investigate
1. Preparation of financial information designed for use by manage-ment and decision makers inside the business entity.
2. A person who works in an office.
3. To try to find out the truth about or the cause of something such as crime, accident or scientific problem.
4. A department in the US that deals with crimes that break national laws rather than state laws.
5. To use somebody’s labour or services in exchange for money.
English for Business Communication
2.1. (4 x 2 points) Ethics. A word or phrase is missing in each of the sentences below. Three answer choices are given below each sentence. Select the best answer to complete the sentence. Write your answers (letters A, B or C) in the boxes.
If you’re doing business abroad, it’s useful to know about local customs.
1) If you’re doing business with a German, you have to shake hands when you … .
2) In Asia you have to give presents to business contacts … .