Для того чтобы правильно выполнить задание, необходимо усвоить следующие разделы курса английского языка:
1. Определительные и дополнительные придаточные предложения (союзные); придаточные обстоятельственные предложения времени и условия
2. Бессоюзное подчинение
3. Функции глагола to HAVE
4. Функции слова THAT
5. Функции слова AS
6. Простые неличные формы глагола: Gerund
I. Переведите предложения
1. I think that roads are very important in our life.
2. At every Institute there is a reading hall and a library where the students can take the necessary books.
3. The computer´s work is based on principles which are easy to understand.
4. I´ll finish my work while you are playing chess.
5. This means both men and women attend the same university.
6. The instruments our plant produces help to automate production processes.
II. Translate the sentences
1. Increasing pressure leads to the decrease of gas volume.
2. The diamond is used for cutting metals as it is the hardest of stones.
3. You may use this instrument for measuring gas pressure.
4. By adding heat we cause the greater motion of the molecules.
III. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на функции глагола to HAVE
1. Man had to learn to obtain electric power directly from the Sun.
2. You have to come to the language laboratory of the Institute to work at your pronunciation.
3. At present most of the industrial enterprises have their own electric power stations.
4. He has repaired the engine.
IV. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на разные значения слова THAT
1. The question that was discussed at the meeting yesterday is of great importance.
2. The work of the new device is much more efficient than that of the old one.
3. It is known that the knowledge of general engineering subjects is the basis for the study of special subjects.
4. Water is one of the few substances that man knows.
V. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на различные значения AS
1. As I live far from the Institute I have to take a tram.
2. Man-made satellites had to use solar cells as a source of power.
3. The gravitation force between two bodies gets smaller as the bodies get farther apart.
VI. Прочитайте и письменно переведите текст
1. Lime, gypsum and cement are the three materials most widely used in building construction for the purpose of binding together masonry units, such as stone, brick and as constituents of wall plaster. Cement is furthermore the most important component of concrete. These materials form very important elements in all masonry structures. As a class they are designed as cementing materials.
2. The gradual improvement in Portland cement quality from the time of its introduction led to the elaboration of rapid hardening Portland cement, or "high early strength". Later developments include low heat and sulphate resisting cements, also white and coloured cements. Another important class of cement is high alumina cement. High alumina cement is a material containing alumina. It has an extremely high rate of strength increase which is, owing to the violence of the chemical reaction, accompanied by a considerable evolution of heat. It is very resistant to chemical attack.
3. It therefore follows that Portland Cement like other materials can to some extent be modified to suit a particular application. The scope for such purpose-made cements has led to the development of an increasing variety such as high alumina cement, blastfurnace slag and pozzolanas. Portland blast-furnace cement has greater resistance to some forms of chemicals.
VII. Прочитайте 2-й абзац и ответьте письменно на вопрос:
What are the properties of high alumina cement?