I. Перепишите следующие предложения, содержащие разные формы сравнения и переведите их на русский язык.
1. The more you practice your English, the faster you’ll learn.
2. She looks like her mother but I think she is even more beautiful.
3. The Underground is the quickest way to get about modem large cities.
4. Volleyball is popular but basketball is more popular in the USA.
5. This watch is the most expensive in the shop.
II. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните в каждом из них глагол-сказуемое, выпишите его и определите видо-временную форму и залог глагола-сказуемого. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. It will be of great use for you to know a few facts about the capital of the country whose language you are studying.
2. There are tombs to many famous people buried in the Abbey, among them Newton, Darwin, Dickens and Kipling.
3. The number of bridges across the Thames usually greatly surprises visitors and the famous London Bridge is the biggest among them.
4. Live Internet broadcasting accompanied one of Saint Laurent’s fashion shows.
5. Since Britain joined the European Community in 1973, the ruling of the European Court of Justice have increasingly determined and codified sections of Britain.
6. Everyone has heard of the Yeoman Warders of the Tower or “Beefeaters”, whose striking Tudor uniform has changes little since 1485.
III. Перепишите следующие предложения; подчеркните в каждом из них модальный глагол или его эквивалент. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. McQueen could produce six shows a year.
2. Only a highly qualified specialist can cope with the work in the Reading Room of the British library.
3. Now women all over the world may see his collections.
4. In the early days his mother had to support the family with her small tailor-shop.
5. The pencil skirt is a perennial favourite too, and you don’t have to be extremely thin to wear it.
IV. Ознакомьтесь с рассказом о себе британского студента.
Hello! My name´s Rob Fellows. I come from Dundee, a town on the east coast of Scotland, but I´m a student at Durham University, in the north of England. I´m studying French and German, and I can speak the languages quite well. I also know a little Spanish, so I can speak four languages. I´m enjoying the course a lot, but it’s very hard work!
I live in Durham Castle, because the Castle is part of the University, with about thirty other students. The course started two years ago, and I´m in my third year. After the course I´m going to work in France, but I don´t know where yet. (110 words)
Используя этот текст как образец, напишите о себе, сообщив следующую информацию (120- 150 words):
Name / date and place of birth / place of living / education / skills / hobbies / ambitions.
V. Прочтите и устно переведите весь текст; перепишите и письменно переведите 1-й, 2-й, 3-й и 4-й абзацы.
THE OLDEST UNIVERSITIES IN BRITAIN
1. The University of Oxford was the first university to be established in Britain. Dating from the 12th century, it is organized as a federation of colleges which are governed by their own teaching staff known as ´Fellows´. The oldest college, University College, was founded in 1249. Other notable colleges include All Souls (founded in 1438), Christ Church (founded in 1546 by Cardinal Wolsey), and Lady Margaret Hall (founded in 1878), which was the first women´s college
2. Today Oxford University is made up of 39 separate colleges, of which one is for women students only, and the rest take both men and women.
3. In 1209, scholars running away from riots in Oxford set up the first academic community in Cambridge. The University is also organised as a federation of colleges; the oldest, Peterhouse, dates from 1284. The largest college, Trinity, was founded by King Henry VIII in 1546.
4. Scotland also boasts a number of long-established universities. ...