1.Перепишите следующие предложения. Определите по грамматическим признакам, какой частью речи являются слова, имеющие окончание –s и какую функцию это окончание выполняет, т.е. служит ли оно
а) показателем 3-го лица ед. числа глагола в Present Indefinite;
б) признаком множественного числа имени существительного;
в) показателем притяжательного падежа имени существительного.
Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. Every weekday John drives the island’s children to school.
2. He collects the post from the boat and delivers it to all the houses on the island.
3. It’s very convenient to travel overnight.
4. Khabarovsk lies on the banks of the Amur River and stretches over long hills.
5. The city’s architecture impresses you with unexpected combination of the last century’s buildings.
2. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на перевод неопределенных и отрицательных местоимений.
1. You can buy stamps at any post office in our city.
2. There are some places of interest just along the bank of the Amur.
3. Some children don’t like to play .
4. Have you got any friends here?
5. I have no idea where she lives.
3. Заполните пропуски предлогами, где это необходимо
1. He realized the importance ……. an education.
2. Something has probably happened ….. them.
3. J can´t play ….. the piano myself, but I´m fond …… going to concerts.
4. I´d like this letter to go …… air mail.
5. Our company produces a wide range …… pumps ……high capacity.
4. Переведите слова, данные в скобках, на английский язык
1. English grammar is (легче) than Russian grammar.
2. Which is (самая длинная) river in Russia?
3. The relationship between Russia and China is (лучше) nowadays than 10 years ago.
4. The economic growth indicators are (такие же высокие как)they were last year.
5. (Чем больше) goods are produced (тем лучше) it is for the economy.
5. Раскройте скобки, поставив сказуемое в правильную форму
1. We sometimes (go) to the cinema.
2. John (still/work) in the garden.
3. You (ever/be) to Italy?
4. He must be tired. He (repair) the car all day.
5. Ten minutes ago I (hear) a strange noise.
6. When you rang me yesterday, I (have) a bath.
7. He told me that he (come back) a fortnight before.
8. Perhaps they (buy) a new house this year.
9. If the weather (be) fine tomorrow, we (have) a picnic.
10. When I (arrive) in Manchester next week, I (phone)you.
6. Прочитайте и переведите текст на русский язык.
Norman E. Borlaug was the first agricultural scientist to receive the Nobel Peace Prize, and the fifteenth American to do so. He was born in 1914 in Iowa, the son of a farming family. In 1940, Borlaug earned his doctorate degree in plant pathology, and a few years later he was chosen by the Rockefeller Foundation to go abroad to help introduce new agricultural technology to farmers who were growing wheat. Borlaug´s goal was to improve the quality of low-yielding wheat that some farmers had been growing for centuries, and he accomplished his goal. He developed new dwarf and semidwarf wheat that had stronger stems and could hold heavier heads of grain. In Mexico, for instance, the new methods resulted in doubled wheat yields. As a result Mexico changed from a country with a wheat shortage to one that was a wheat exporter. For the introduction of these new wheat growing methods Borlaug was dubbed "father of the green revolution."