1. Translate the text (Переведите текст):
Car giants single online supply store.
General motors, Ford Motors and Daimler Chrysler companies have announced plans to open the online auto marketplace, potentially making it the largest internet business yet created. It will allow suppliers and buyers to automate routine transactions and streamline 1the bidding process for everything from car windows and fuel-injection parts to paper clips and paint through electronic needs and receive bids from sellers.
Consumers are not likely to see massive price cuts because of the new system. But it should help automakers keep a lid on retail prices as new features are introduced, such as electronic steering, computerized transmission systems and weight-sensitive air bags. It will also make it possible for customers to order more personalized vehicles and to take delivery of them faster.
General motors, Ford and Daimler Chrysler will have an equal share of the new company, which is expected to be running by the end of June. They will also open their virtual marketplace to other automakers and could eventually expand the service into other industries, such as aerospace, and office supplies.
The joint marketplace is the most powerful sign of the migration of commerce from the old world of salesmen and brick stores to the new virtual world of electronic commerce. It is going to change the way businesses interact with each other by taking out the huge inefficiencies that been built around the old methods of using the phone and mail.
By using the speed of Internet communication and the power of large computerized databases to handle global sales and purchasing, the companies hope to control costs, slash production inefficiencies and reduce the logistical nightmare of tracking millions of parts.
“The Internet is transforming every piece of our company and our industry”, Ford president said in a statement.
In one of the first purchases made by Ford on its own online marketplace the company was reported to save more then $ 10 million.
There will ultimately be more than 100,000 supply companies on the system. The company could become a profit maker since it will collect a fee or commission for every transaction that takes place over the network.
2. Ask 10 questions on the text (составьте 10 различных вопросов по содержанию текста): General (общий) - 2, Special (специальный) — 3, Alternative (альтернативный) - 3, Disjunctive (разделительный) - 2:
3. Determine the tense form of the verbs and translate the sentences into Russian (определите время глагола-сказуемого и переведите предложения)
1. All the possible variants were foreseen beforehand.
2. Let me know when Mr. Brown comes.
3. The work has been just finished.
4. Переведите предложения на русский язык, принимая во внимание место предлога при бессоюзном подчинении:
1. The monument you are looking at is the Nelson´s Column.
2. Life you watch in films differs greatly from reality.
3. The office she worked in was a large bank.
5. Translate the sentences into Russian. Mind the difference in the translation of the Objective Infinitive Construction and the Subjective Infinitive Construction (переведите предложения на русский язык, учитывая разницу в переводе инфинитивных конструкций):
1. His mother always wished her son to become a doctor.
2. We want our daughter to enter the Economy College.
3. This Institute is known to train good specialists.
4. Victor is said to graduate from the institute and work in a good firm.
6. Translate the sentences into Russian (переведите предложения на русский язык):
1. If I were you, I wouldn’t trust this man.
2. If he looked critically at himself he would notice his mistakes.
3. If I win a large sum of money, I will buy a new car.