I.I. Прочитайте и письменно переведите следующий текст на русский язык. Задайте 5 вопросов на английском языке по тексту.
Packing of Goods
Packing goods for export is a highly specialized job. If the goods are improperly packed and marked, the carrier will refuse to accept them, or will make qualifications about the unsatisfactory condition of packing in the Bill of Lading.
Packing can be external (crates, bags) and internal (boxes, packets, flasks, etc), in which the goods are sold.
In case of consumer goods packing has a double function. On the one hand, it is for protection. On the other – it serves to advertise a product and attract a customer.
The equipment and spare parts are to be shipped in export sea packing meeting the requirements of each particular type of equipment. Packing is to secure full safety of the goods from any kind of damage and corrosion during transportation by sea, railway and combined transport. Packing should be suitable for loading by crane, by auto cars, by trucks and manually in so far as the weight and volume of individual packages allow.
Before packing, the equipment is to be protected with anticorrosive coating to protect it from any damage and corrosion in transit and to ensure storage during hot summer and cold winter.
The Sellers will be responsible for any damage or breakage of the goods that may be caused by poor packing or corrosion which may appear due to improper or insufficient coating.
The cases in which the goods are packed are to be marked on three sides on the top of the case and two non-opposite sides. The marking should be clearly made with indelible paint in English and Russian as follows:
Contract No. Контракт №
All cases which need special handling must have an additional marking:
Handle with care
Do not turn over as well as other indications if specific handling of a particular case is required. There are three principal types of marking which may have to be done on export packages:
1. The consignees’ own distinctive marks.
2. Any official mark required by authorities.
3. Special directions and warnings.
Good clear marking is essential if the goods are not go astray, and for this reason marks are usually made by paint, inks or dyes through a metal stencil. Wooden cases are sometimes marked by burned impressions in the wood itself.
II. Ответьте на следующие вопросы:
1. What are the packing requirements?
2. What preventive measures are necessary to protect the goods from damage?
3. Why is it necessary for a packer to know the freight routes?
4. What kinds of export packing do you know?
5. What is the function of packing in the sale of consumer goods?
III. Выполните следующие упражнения.
1. Определите функции герундия. Объясните свой выбор на русском языке. Предложения переведите.
We did not know of their going to Great Britain.
1. My friend was proud of being a student of OxfordUniversity.
2. After graduating from university he got an interesting job in Glasgow.
4. Выберите требуемую по смыслу форму глагола и переведите предложения на русский язык:
2. Определите функции причастия. Объясните свой выбор на русском языке. Предложения переведите.
1. Being a highly developed industrial country Great Britain exports motor-cars, aircraft, electric apparatus and other items.
2. There are about 1000 monuments inside the Westminster Abbey, commemorating the lives of famous poets and statesmen.
3. There are many rivers in Great Britain, the Severn being the longest in the country.
3. Определите функции герундия. Объясните свой выбор на русском языке. Предложения переведите.
1. Oxygen can form oxides by combining with metals.
2. The students began making the experiments with oxygen.
3. There are different ways of obtaining oxygen.