Контрольная работа №2
Прочитайте и переведите текст на русский язык с 1-го по 4-й абзацы. Письменно переведите 1-й и 3-й абзацы.
1. When Charles Babbage, a professor of mathematics at Cambridge University, invented the first calculating machine in 1812 he could hardly have imagined the situation in which we find ourselves today.
2. Nearly everything that we do in the modern world is helped, or even controlled by computers, the complicated descendants of his simple machine. Computers are being used more and more extensively in the world today, for the simple reason that they are far more efficient than human beings.
3. They have much better memories and can store huge amounts of information and they can do calculations in a fraction of the time taken by a human mathematician. No man alive can do 500,000 sums in one second, but an advanced computer can.
4. In fact, computers can do many of the things we do, but faster and better. They can pay wages, reserve seats on planes, control machines in factories, work out tomorrow’s weather, and even play chess, write poetry, or compose music.
1. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на сказуемое в Passive Voice.
1. Most of the time of a modern man is spent within the walls of some buildings.
2. The experiments were still being conducted in some laboratories when the new term began.
3. Moving pictures can be sent by television.
4. The monument was restored in spite of many difficulties.
5. The research work was carried out under great difficulties.
6. He was listened to with great attention.
7. The lectures on mathematics were attended by all the students.
8. Her children will be taken care of.
9. Rivers and lakes are covered with ice in winter in Siberia.
10. Tomsk was founded in 1604 year.
1. Переведите предложения, обращая внимание на выделенные слова.
1. In big ports ships are loaded and unloaded by means of cranes.
2. Franklin is known all over the world both as a scientist and as a political leader.
3. As soon as you finish your calculations, we shall begin the test.
3. Выберите предложение с Gerund и переведите его на русский язык.
1. Noise is an ever growing inconvenience of modern life.
2. Different ways of sending messages over long distances have been known for thousands of years.
3. The new materials recommended for bridge construction were described in the article.
4. People living in Japan have some customs different from ours.
4. Переведите предложения на русский язык, обращая внимание на Infinitive.
1. The problem to be discussed is connected with the city water supply.
2. To extend the main street they had to destroy some old buildings.
3. We expect you to show good results.
4. The results of the test were found to be very interesting.
5. The owner of the motor car wanted the old engine to be replaced.
6. To translate this text students used the dictionary.
7. We were invited to take part in the international scientific conference.
Text 2. The History of Land Transport
Прочитайте и устно переведите текст на русский язык с 1-го по 4-ый абзацы. Письменно переведите 2-ой и 3-й абзацы.
1. The world transport means to carry people or goods from place to place. It is also used for the vehicles that carry people or goods – for example, motor transport includes buses, lorries, and motor cars.
2. The history of transport is divided into two stages. The first stage is that in which all forms of transport depended directly on the power of men or animals or on natural forces such as winds and current. The second stage began with the development of the steam engine, which was followed by the electric motor and the internal combustion engine as the main sources of power for transport.
3. The most ancient people were probably wanderers.