Задание 1. Переведите текст на русский язык.
SCHOOLING IN ENGLAND
Every child in Great Britain between the ages of five and sixteen years must attend school. There are three main types of educational institutions: primary schools, secondary schools and universities. State schools are free (бесплатный) and attendance is compulsory. Morning school begins at nine o’clock and lasts for three hours until twelve о 1 clock noon. Afternoon school begins at two o’clock and lasts for two and a half hours until half-past four. School is open five days a week. On Saturdays and Sundays there are no lessons. In the primary schools, where children study from five to eleven years, the first two years are mainly taken up with learning to read, write and do simple arithmetic. In addition, the children draw, paint, model and sing. The first two years of the primary school are called the Infant school (школа для малышей). At seven the pupils are transferred to the Junior school (начальная школа для детей от 7 до 11 лет) which is usually situated in another section of the same building. At this age level the following subjects appear in the study programme: English, history, geography, nature study, music and others. At the age of eleven the pupils finish the primary school and continue their education at one of the secondary schools. There are different types of secondary schools in England. This system of secondary education has developed since the Act of 1944 according to which on leaving the primary school, a pupil may go either to a secondary Modem, Technical, Grammar or Comprehensive school. The Secondary Modern School (средняя современная школа) is attended by pupils between the ages of eleven and sixteen. It is a state school which has a practical trend. Such courses as secretarial, trade and commerce, agriculture, gardening, cooking are taught there. These schools are usually well equipped with workshops for woodwork, metalwork, cooking, etc.
On leaving this school the pupils who wish to continue their education may attend evening classes which prepare them for entering a college or a university.
Задание 2. Ответьте на вопросы по тексту.
1. How many days a week is school open?
2. When are there no lessons?
3. How are the first two years of the primary school called?
4. What subjects do children learn in the Junior school?
5. What kind of secondary schools are there in England?
6. What do the pupils do to continue their education?
Задание 3. Прочтите предложения, употребив нужную форму прилагательного по смыслу.
1. Moscow is (large) than Petersburg.
2. John is (short) than William.
3. Henry is (tall) of all.
4. This summer is (hot) than last summer.
5. December 22 is (short) day of the year.
6. This is (beautiful) house in the city.
7. He is (good) student in the group.
8. Which is (large) city in your country?
9. Mathematics is (difficult) for him than physics.
10. The Volga is one of the (long) rivers in the world.
11. January is (cold) than March.
12. Agatha Christie is one of (famous) English writers.
13. There were (many) students at the lecture today than yesterday.
14. The Assembly Hall is (large) room in the Institute.
15. Yesterday our team played football very badly. I think it was their (bad) match.
16. Their house in the country is (little) comfortable than their flat in the town.
Задание 4. Укажите номера предложений, в которых сказуемое выражено формой глагола: а) в прошедшем времени, б) в настоящем времени, в) в будущем времени. Переведите предложения на русский язык.
1. My friend entered the Medical Institute last year.
2. All students’ lake exams in winter.
3. The delegation will leave Tomsk on Monday.
4. Do you receive letters from your friends?
5. The students of our group attend all the lectures.
6. Some students failed their entrance exams.
7 The lecture will last two hours.
8 Shall we go to the disco in the evening?
9. He was good at mathematics, but he failed in physics.